Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Baby walkers to be made safer

9 October 2001 Media Statement


Baby walkers are to be made safer.

As many as thirteen babies a year are injured from falls involving baby walkers and the Government is introducing a new mandatory standard to reduce accidents.

From 1 March next year, baby walkers will have to include safety features that help to prevent them from tipping over or toppling down stairs. Baby walkers will have to be sold with product information and safety warnings on them.

Acting Consumer Affairs Minister Jim Anderton said most of the estimated thirteen hospitalisations a year from baby walker injuries are caused by falls down stairs.

"Compared with other nursery furniture, the likelihood of an injury caused by a fall in a baby walker is relatively high.

“About 30-thousand infants are put in baby walkers every year. Their parents and caregivers will still have the choice to use baby walkers, but they will have the advantage of mandatory warnings and safety features in line with international trends and requirements,” Jim Anderton said.

Baby walkers that meet the new mandatory standard are currently about $30 more expensive than the lowest priced non-compliant walkers.

The new mandatory standard will include baby walkers sold by second-hand dealers. The Commerce Commission will monitor and enforce the standard. It will be able to carry out proactive inspections and follow up complaints from the public. Retailers, manufacturers, and importers who sell non-compliant walkers could be fined up to $100,000. Private individuals could be fined up to $30,000.

Consumer Affairs is advising parents who continue to use older baby walkers to be extra vigilant in keeping hot liquids out of reach and using barriers around stairs, fires and heaters.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news