Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Permanent Screening for Domestic Air Travellers

29 October 2001 Media Statement

Permanent Screening for Domestic Air Travellers

The current temporary measures for screening domestic air travellers and carry-on baggage in New Zealand are to become permanent, Transport Minister Mark Gosche announced today.

Screening of passengers travelling on domestic regular air transport services was introduced after the September 11 terrorist attacks in the United States. Domestic passengers are currently screened at six New Zealand airports – Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, Queenstown and Rotorua.

The current temporary measures are scheduled to end on 21 December, but Cabinet agreed today that screening would become permanent at those airports where the temporary measures are in place, Mr Gosche said.

“While the current level of threat to New Zealand of terrorist attacks is perceived to be low, the Government feels it is necessary to implement permanent screening.“

The screening will apply to all domestic passengers on flights of over 90 seats.

The Aviation Security Service and the aviation industry will need to work together to resolve issues arising from the design of the affected airport terminals, Mr Gosche said.

“These infrastructure issues may take some months to work through. But I am confident that all parties will work together to reduce delays for the travelling public where-ever possible.”

Officials will shortly begin talks with representatives from the aviation industry to discuss how best to fund permanent screening arrangements. No decision had been made on funding, Mr Gosche said.

Other aviation security options that are being considered internationally are being looked at in New Zealand as part of a strategic review into aviation security that will be completed by Christmas.

The raft of additional security measures also in place on international flights since 12 September, particularly services bound for the United States, are also likely to continue for the foreseeable future, said the Minister.

“These measures are required to enable New Zealand to meet its regulatory requirements as well as those requirements placed on individual carriers by their governments.”

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

General Assembly: Ardern Rejects Trump Call For War On Drugs

New Zealand will not be signing the United States' document calling for global action on the war on drugs, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says.

Ms Ardern is in New York for the United Nations General Assembly this week, along with about 140 other world leaders.

US President Donald Trump is kicking off his week at the UN by holding an event to promote the US document called the Global Call to Action on the World Drug Problem. More>>

 

Pay Equity: Cabinet Funds Deal For Oranga Tamariki Social Workers

The Minister said that an agreement in principle has been reached between Oranga Tamariki and the PSA on a settlement worth $114.6m over five years. More>>

ALSO:

Hunting v Pest Control: Tahr Control Needed To Protect Alpine Habitats

A cull of introduced Himalayan tahr browsing conservation land in Kā Tiritiri o Te Moana/ the Southern Alps is needed to protect special alpine plants and their habitats, Conservation Minister, Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

Protest At Sea: Judge Discharges Greenpeace Activists

The judge today discharged Norman and Howell without conviction, saying the cumulative consequences of a conviction would be out of proportion to what was “low level” offending off the Wairarapa coast in April 2017. More>>

ALSO:

Meth Testing Report: Housing NZ "To Right Wrong"

Phil Twyford “Housing NZ acknowledges that around 800 tenants suffered by either losing their tenancies, losing their possessions, being suspended from the public housing waiting list, negative effects on their credit ratings or, in the worst cases, being made homeless.” More>>

ALSO:

No Reshuffle: Meka Whaitiri Removed As A Minister

Meka Whaitiri will be removed as a Minister with immediate effect... The decision was made after receiving a report into an incident that occurred on 27 August in Gisborne, involving Meka Whaitiri and one of her staff. More>>

ALSO:

Asylum: Refugee Quota Increasing To 1500

“The quota increase will take place from July 2020. In the meantime, we will work to increase the number and spread of refugee resettlement and support services. We need to make sure we’re prepared for this change in policy.” More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels