Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Release Of British Terrorist Attack Documents

29 October 2001

Release Of British Documents Relating To September 11 Terrorist Attacks

Foreign Affairs Minister Phil Goff today released information provided by the British Government which outlines links between Al Qaida led by Osama bin Laden and the terrorist attacks of 11 September.

“Bin Laden welcomed the attacks but denied responsibility for them. While the evidence contained in the document is circumstantial, it points quite clearly to Al Qaida being behind the attacks.

“There is no other known terrorist group which has the resources and organisational strength to have carried off the highly coordinated and carefully planned attacks of 11 September.

“Bin Laden has claimed credit for the attack on US soldiers in Somalia in 1993 which killed 18; for the attack on the US Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998 which killed 224 and injured nearly 5000; and is linked with the attack on the USS Cole last year in which 17 crew members were killed.

“The 11 September attack had the common hall-marks of the earlier acts with regard to planning, absence of warning, coordination, total disregard for casualties and the use of suicide attackers. At least three of the hijackers identified from the passenger lists of the four planes hijacked have already been positively identified as associates of al Qaida.

“Bin Laden’s own comments point to his responsibility. In February 1998 he issued and signed a ‘fatwa’ which included a decree to all Muslims:

“…the killing of Americans and their civilian and military allies is a religious duty for each and every Muslin to be carried out in whichever country they are until Al Aqsa mosque has been liberated from their grasp and until their armies have left Muslim lands.”

“UK intelligence indicates that Bin Laden asserted shortly before 11 September that he was preparing a major attack on America. In August and early September close associates of Bin Laden were warned to return to Afghanistan from other parts of the world by 10 September. Immediately prior to 11 September some known associates of Bin Laden were naming the date for action as on or around 11 September.

“The evidence contained in the British report is for public release and does not contain other material which is sensitive and might endanger sources. For this reason the document does not purport to be the evidence which would be produced in Court to secure a conviction. What it does demonstrate, however, is the strength of circumstantial evidence that Al Qaida is responsible for the attacks,” Mr Goff said.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels