Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Southerner Viability Study

The Southerner passenger rail service would need a ninety per cent increase in passengers from 50,000 to 95,000 a year to have any chance of becoming viable, a viability study on the future of the service shows.

Economic Development Minister Jim Anderton met South Island mayors and council representatives in Christchurch on Wednesday to assess the study.

The study was funded in partnership by government and local councils.

It showed that to have any chance of being viable within the next ten years passenger numbers would need to increase by ninety percent. This viability was dependent on low track rentals, a significant upgrade in rolling stock, the service being run by the new TranzRail/WCR joint venture and a change in timetabling.

“The general indication from Councils is that it is unlikely they will continue to subsidise the service after February,” Jim Anderton said.

“The facts were startling. About three times as many people hire cars to go to Invercargill as use the Southerner. The loss of the service would have an impact on the regional economies of less than 0.5 per cent, and there is capacity on existing coaches to accommodate demand without putting additional traffic on local roads.

“There was agreement that the services would not be able to continue in their present form without significant public subsidy. At the same time Council representatives felt that any money available from ratepayers for such a subsidy would be better spent on other regional development initiatives.

“The safeguarding of access to the rail corridor is essential and we will keep this in mind.

“We will be keeping a close watch on the patronage of the service until the subsidy period ends on 10 February,” Jim Anderton said.

Transport Minister Mark Gosche said central and local government have worked very closely on this issue.

“This outcome shows that the viability study has been very worthwhile because it has provided the basis for making an informed decision,” Mark Gosche said.

The partnership between central and local government and Tranz Rail has kept the Southerner passenger rail service running until 10 February. The Government and local authorities made a contribution of $240,000 towards running costs.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels