Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Senior Army Officers Must Be Suspended

Media Release


December 27, 2001

Senior Army Officers Must Be Suspended
Immediately

“The government must now suspend all Army Officers who were involved in the systematic and deliberate destruction of boxes of important Defence documents”, said New Zealand First’s spokesman for Defence, Mr Ron Mark MP when speaking on today’s release, of the Inspector General’s report, on the Investigation into the shredding of Official Army Documents.


“This report seriously brings into question the integrity of certain Commissioned Army Officers and it is my view that these officers can no longer be trusted by parliament or the public of New Zealand, let alone the soldiers they are supposed to lead into battle.
It confirms my warnings to the Government in August, that large numbers of Official documents were being systematically shredded. We are now told that many of these documents were relevant to current defence inquiries and that they were destroyed because they might prove embarrassing should they be requested under the Official Information Act”, said Mr Mark.

“These acts by the small group of Army Officers involved are indicative of their contempt for Parliament and the audit responsibilities that MP’s are required to exercise on behalf of taxpaying New Zealanders”, he said.

“This report also shows that the government’s Defence policies, in particular the decision to disband the air combat capability, is now gravely in question”, Mr Mark said.

“The statements by witnesses that the ‘Reid papers’ and documents relating to the PR company Communications Trumps, were destroyed as a result of instructions given at the highest levels of our Army management are unprecedented. These documents I am certain would have disclosed the connection between certain Army Officers and the construction of Labour’s Defence policy.
The fact that the public will now never be able to scrutinise this evidence or current government policy against it, is an absolute perversion of the democratic process and the constitutional rights of all New Zealanders.

In any other self-respecting Western democracy these officers would now be subject to Court Martial proceedings. The question is, will that happen here in New Zealand and if not,….. why not?” Mr Mark concluded.

End.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Malaysia Exposing Our Dodgy Policies On China

Last week, we all owed a vote of thanks to Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad for breaking with protocol during his bilateral meeting in Singapore with New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern. Reportedly, Mahathir used the photo opportunity phase of the meeting – which usually involves just an exchange of smiles and pleasantries before the media is sent out of the room – to launch into matters of genuine substance.

By doing so, Mahathir usefully exposed how New Zealand is trying to make a virtue out of sitting on the fence over the South China Sea dispute. More>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels