Thursday 28 Feb 2002
ACT Transport Spokesman MP Penny Webster said this evening that Auckland mayor John Banks is the victim of a con job by the Labour Government whose transport package is just a sop to the Greens.
Banks has been conned, along with all his constituents:
* The $220 million isn't going to Auckland
* Only $90 million is going into roading
* There is no specific allocation for Auckland
* Northland, Gisborne and other regions are getting $90 million
* Whatever is left won't fix Auckland's congestion problem
* It's not money that's holding up Auckland's motorways - it's consents
* Consents are going to be harder to get because this is a 'Green' package with additional hoops for RMA consents
* If public transport use increases at its present rate, it will never cure Auckland's transport problems
"Sorry John. Sorry Auckland. You will pay more for petrol tomorrow. There will be many more tomorrow's before you see any roading benefits," Mrs Webster said.