Auckland Police Staff Numbers As At 31 October '02
AUCKLAND POLICE STAFF NUMBERS AS AT 31 OCTOBER 2002
Sworn Non Sworn Sworn Non Sworn
Auckland Based Districts
North Shore/Waitakere 587 106 Road Policing 95 5 (Does not include STU)
Auckland 521 118 Metro Ops 64 0
Counties/Manukau 691 114 Metro Crime 107 0
1899 368 Note: Included in the district totals
Auckland Based Service Centres NZ Police Total national staff numbers
Training 11 10 As at 20 November 2002
Prosecutions 42 20 There were 2064 Non Sworn
Communications 30 134 7308 Sworn
Human Resources 4 6 9372 Total
CVIU 15 1
I & T 0 16
Legal 2 2
All Auckland Staff Totals 2003 557 2560
Figures are given in Full Time Equivalents i.e. staff working on a part-time basis are summed to an equivalent of a full-time member.
Retention issues in Auckland
The resignation and transfer of Police officers in 2001/02 was 772 (11.8%), a slight drop (of 0.5%) from the previous years figure of 781.
In 2001/02 members leaving Police from Auckland Metro is slightly less than national turnover
Auckland All New Zealand
Resignations and transfers across Auckland Metro dropped between 2001 (328) and 2001/2 (306) with one third of transfers in Auckland Metro occurring between the three Auckland districts.
RANK AVERAGE EXPERIENCE IN YEARS
Auckland Metro National
Constable 6.7 8.5
Sergeant 14.9 17.0
Senior Sergeant 19.3 20.9
Inspector 27.8 25.0
TOTAL 8.6 10.5
The transfers into Auckland Metro from other districts is lower than other districts.
Movement between the Auckland Districts (2001/02)
- 22 Police officers located in North Shore Waitakere, Auckland City and Counties Manukau were promoted to positions in another Auckland district, with this number spread evenly across the three districts.
- 84 Police officers appointed to a position at the same level moved to another Auckland district. Auckland City (36) experienced slightly more movement than Counties Manukau (30). North Shore Waitakere (18) had the least movement.
- Only 2 Police officers moved to a position at another Auckland district at a lower level.
Moving out of Auckland Districts (2001/02)
- 12 Police officers from the 3 Auckland Districts were promoted to positions in another district and/or Service Centre ie North Shore Waitakere (5), Auckland City (2) and Counties Manukau (5).
- 88 moved out of Auckland to a position at the same level ie North Shore Waitakere (31), Auckland City (23) and Counties Manukau (34).
- 13 moved out of Auckland to positions at a lower level ie North Shore Waitakere (2), Auckland City (5) and Counties Manukau (6).
- The total number of Police officers transferring out of the Auckland Metro Area in 2001/02 was 113. Of the 3 Districts, Counties Manukau (45) experienced the most members leaving for other districts, followed by Northshore Waitakere (38) and Auckland City (30).