Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Latest verdicts in East Timor human rights trials


Hon Phil Goff
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Media Statement

2 December 2002

NZ disappointed with latest verdicts in East Timor human rights trials

New Zealand is disappointed with the latest verdicts in the East Timor human rights trials Foreign Minister Phil Goff said today.

New Zealand has been watching with close interest recent developments in the cases in the Central Jakarta District Court of those accused of crimes against humanity committed in East Timor during the violence that preceded and followed the 1999 independence ballot.

Last week the Court delivered verdicts in three separate cases, finding notorious militia leader Eurico Guterres guilty of crimes against humanity, and four Indonesian officials not guilty.

“I welcome the guilty verdict in the Guterres case and the imposition of the 10-year sentence in accordance with Indonesia’s own human rights law. Crimes against humanity is a serious charge, and 10 years is, in my view, the bare minimum that one could expect for perpetrating such a crime.

“However, I am disappointed at the latest verdicts delivered by the Court on 29 November, which saw two army colonels, a police chief and a government official being acquitted of crimes against humanity.

“Of the 12 accused who have to date been handed a verdict by the human rights court over the East Timor violence, only two have been found guilty, the former provincial governor Abilio Soares, and former militia leader Eurico Guterres. Both are East Timorese civilians.

“This would appear to run counter to the reality on the ground which pointed to the fact that militia responsible for carrying out the violence in 1999 had linkages with Indonesian military personnel.

“For the international community to have confidence in the outcomes of these trials, it is vital that they are conducted in accordance with international standards of justice and that the court has before it all of the evidence,” Mr Goff said.

ENDS

All Phil Goff’s media releases and speeches are posted at www.beehive.govt.nz

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Bridges’ ‘Meth Crooks’ Leadership Failure

Back in June, Bridges publicly accepted that Housing NZ had got it wrong, and that the National government had acted upon bad advice.

Now, you’d think this admission would create a broad bi-partisan basis for compensation to those families who had been unfairly evicted, at considerable cost and emotional distress. Some people had lost their possessions in trying to meet the expense of the upheaval.

Not everyone felt so compassionate. More>>

 

Multimedia & Transcript: Acting PM's Press Conference

Winston Peters, Acting Prime Minister while Jacinda Ardern is in New York for the UN Leaders' Week, held a short press conference Monday after chairing this week's cabinet meeting. More>>

General Assembly: Ardern Rejects Trump Call For War On Drugs

New Zealand will not be signing the United States' document calling for global action on the war on drugs, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says. Ms Ardern is in New York for the United Nations General Assembly this week, along with about 140 other world leaders. More>>

ALSO:

Pay Equity: Cabinet Funds Deal For Oranga Tamariki Social Workers

The Minister said that an agreement in principle has been reached between Oranga Tamariki and the PSA on a settlement worth $114.6m over five years. More>>

ALSO:

Hunting v Pest Control: Tahr Control Needed To Protect Alpine Habitats

A cull of introduced Himalayan tahr browsing conservation land in Kā Tiritiri o Te Moana/ the Southern Alps is needed to protect special alpine plants and their habitats, Conservation Minister, Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

Protest At Sea: Judge Discharges Greenpeace Activists

The judge today discharged Norman and Howell without conviction, saying the cumulative consequences of a conviction would be out of proportion to what was “low level” offending off the Wairarapa coast in April 2017. More>>

ALSO:

No Reshuffle: Meka Whaitiri Removed As A Minister

Meka Whaitiri will be removed as a Minister with immediate effect... The decision was made after receiving a report into an incident that occurred on 27 August in Gisborne, involving Meka Whaitiri and one of her staff. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels