Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Sutton personal attacks on protestors insensitive


Sutton's personal attacks on protestors "insensitive": Greens

Jim Sutton's personal criticisms of painted apple moth aerial spray protestors were insensitive Green Party Biosecurity Spokesperson Ian Ewen-Street said today.

The Biosecurity Minister issued a press release last night saying: "Some activists against eradicating the moth are personalising this and encouraging people to act irresponsibly in an effort to get up my nose. This is pathetic."

Mr Sutton also warned protestors that if they succeeded in "their perverse aims" of blocking the next aerial spray round with helium balloons near the flight path and tarpaulins over vegetation - they could be subjected to spraying every year.

Mr Ewen-Street said today he was dismayed the Minister could be so insensitive to the health and peace of mind of West Auckland residents. "People opposed to the spraying have the right to express their health concerns without being labelled 'pathetic' by a Minister of the Crown," he said.

Mr Ewen-Street said that 8000 of the 160,000 people being sprayed would have an allergic reaction to Btk (the active ingredient in the spray) - based on Mr Sutton's estimate last night that 5 per cent of the population were allergic.

"That's 8000 too many," Mr Ewen-Street said, "but even that is an under-estimation of the health concerns, as Btk makes up only 3 per cent of the spray. Many more people may have reactions to the chemical cocktail that makes up the other 97 per cent. But residents can't have this investigated, as the Minister wrongly refuses to reveal the contents - arguing that intellectual property rights outweigh the public's right to know. No wonder West Aucklanders are protesting."

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Peters/Ardern Triumph

There are a lot of good reasons to feel joyful about this outcome. It is what so many young voters – the best hope for the country’s future – wanted.

Far more important than the implications for the Economy Gods ( is the dollar up or down? ) last night’s outcome will also mean many, many vulnerable New Zealanders will have a better life over the next three years at least.

Yet the desire for change was in the majority, across the country..>>>More


Reaction

Labour on its agreement |Peters: Post-Election Announcement Speech | Greenpeace “cautiously hopeful” about new Government | ACT - Madman on the loose | E tū ecstatic | Chamber welcomes the outcome | Greens on their joining Govt | EDS welcomes new govt | Immigrant groups worry | Feds ready to engage new coalition government

 

Climate: Increasing Greenhouse Emissions Hit NZ

New Zealand is seeing impacts of excess greenhouse gas emissions in our climate and oceans, according to the latest national report from the Ministry for the Environment and Stats NZ about the state of the atmosphere and climate…More>>

ALSO:


Wellington.Scoop: Arrests At Blockade Of "Weapons Expo"

“We encourage people in Wellington to get down to the Westpac Stadium now for a day of awesome peace action. There will be plenty of food, music and activities to keep us sustained through the day.” More>>

ALSO:

Rorschach Restructuring: PSA Taking Inland Revenue To Court Over Psychometrics

The Public Service Association will be seeing Inland Revenue in Employment Court over its intention to psychometrically test employees reapplying for their roles at the department as part of its controversial Business Transformation restructuring plan. More>>

ALSO:

Nuclear Disarmament: Nobel Peace Prize 2017 Awarded To ICAN

Congratulations from iCAN Aotearoa New Zealand to international iCAN, the other iCAN national campaigns and partner organisations, and the countless organisations and individuals who have worked so hard for a nuclear weapons-free world since 1945. More>>

ALSO:

Expenses: Waikato DHB CEO Resigns

An independent inquiry has identified that Dr Murray had spent more than the agreed $25K allocated for relocation costs, and other unauthorized expenses involving potential financial breaches of the chief executive’s obligations. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: Sad About The Trolley Buses?

The Regional Council’s MetLink is today spending money to tell us that it really loves Wellington’s trolley buses, even though they’re all being taken off our roads by the end of this month. More>>

ALSO:

Post-Election: Preliminary Coalition Talks Begin

New Zealand First will hold post-election preliminary discussions in Wellington with the National Party tomorrow morning and the Labour Party tomorrow afternoon. More>>

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election