Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


$110m poured into blindly separating families

Wednesday, 1 September, 2004

Alexander: $110m poured into blindly separating families

Almost $110 million has been spent separating teenagers from their parents by means of the Independent Youth Benefit since 2001, with virtually no checks and balances, United Future's Marc Alexander said today.

"And the result is that we have teens who are told to be home by a reasonable time at night by responsible parents, and who get brassed off and go selling sob stories to a gullible Ministry of Social Development and walk away with a wad of cash," Mr Alexander said.

"The Ministry is effectively paying kids to move away from their parents and it is not meeting its statutory obligation to check into the claims made by the teenagers requesting the benefit," he said.

The Christchurch-based MP said he had been approached by a number of families who felt that their teenage children had been tempted by easy money to make all sorts of claims to get paid autonomy from their families. There were 328 applications for the benefit in the first six months of this year and 205 were granted.

"Of course, some young people need the protection of living away from their families, but the Ministry doesn't check the allegations before handing over the public's money. "I have seen good mums and dads being penalised for wanting to set responsible guidelines and, rather than help parents to parent, the Government is paying spoilt kids to opt out."

Today in Parliament, Mr Alexander cited the case of a 17-year-old not allowed to have her boyfriend sleep over in her room and having set times to be home, and who solicited a teacher's help to get the benefit.

"Nobody knows what allegations she had to make to get the benefit, as no investigation was undertaken and the parents were refused any information on the allegations because of supposed privacy issues!" he said.

"If the Ministry does what is should have done in the first place and investigates this case, it will find that the girl is now showing up in the home for meals, laundry and family get-togethers," Mr Alexander said.

The Independent Youth Benefit is meant to be paid to a single young person aged 16 or 17 without dependent children who is not living at home as a result of a breakdown in their family (and, as a consequence, not financially supported by their parents).

The Ministry's failings extend to its record-keeping, with huge anomalies in the reporting of accepted and decline claims for the benefit, Mr Alexander said.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news