Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Gateway opens more opportunities for students

7 October 2004

Gateway opens more opportunities for students

The government’s Gateway programme to help students move into the workforce or further education is being extended to 55 more secondary schools next year, Associate Education Minister Steve Maharey announced today.

Gateway enables senior secondary school students (Years 11-13) to get involved in work-based learning as part of their school studies and gain credits on the National Qualifications Framework.

The expansion brings the total number of Gateway schools to 180, with Gateway opportunities available to around 6,000 senior school students in 2005.

“Gateway has proven its value in giving young people the opportunity to explore careers and gain new skills, and now a lot more students will be able to benefit,” Steve Maharey said.

“Improving achievement in education and employment is vital to building New Zealand’s productivity, addressing skill shortages and improving economic growth.

“Gateway is an important part of the government’s work on Successful Youth Transitions, and contributes to achieving our 2007 target of having all 15-19 year olds engaged in education, training, employment or other options which will lead to long term economic independence and well-being.

“The government committed additional funding to Gateway in Budget 2004 to increase the number of decile 1-5 schools participating in the programme and to expand Gateway to decile 6 schools. Gateway opportunities will be available to all decile 1-6 schools in 2008.”

The Tertiary Education Commission will be working with schools to ensure they have the necessary structures and employer networks in place to participate in Gateway in 2005 and beyond.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news