Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Column: Judith Collins


Judith Collins Family Spokesperson - Column

It's a lemon "It sounds good but, on closer examination, it's a lemon". That's what the New Zealand Herald editorial said this week about Labour's "single benefit" proposal. Another quote said "the ideal of folding the various categories of need into one standard entitlement has an enduring, if superficial, appeal to the tidy mind, even if it does not amount to much change in practice." The Dominion Post called the same proposal, "Maharey's Mystery".

National agrees. Labour's single benefit announcement is more about appearances than moving any of the 300,000 working-age people from welfare dependency and into independence.

The proposal with the farcical, long distance operational date of 2007, would supposedly see all benefits come together under one name, with special add-ons for those with different circumstances. Labour first announced the plan in 2000, to start in 2002.

Minister Steve Maharey says a single benefit system would reduce the time spent on administration but it is hard to see how administration would be any easier if the Government allows multiple add-ons. When administrators have finished sifting through various claims of entitlement they may find the current system is quicker after all. This system allows all those with similar reasons for dependency are grouped together. WINZ spends just 30% of its time trying to find people jobs, the other 70% on administration. Something needs to change but a superficial name change isn't the answer.

If you have a vague recollection of having heard about a universal benefit years ago, you are right. Labour first announced the idea in 2000 and promised a "single benefit" system would be up and running in 2002. Three years later the proposal is being dredged up again from the murky depths of Labour's filing cabinet. No actual details have been finalised by the Government - even though they have had five years to prepare. Now we are told, it will operate by 2007.

It just looks like a dishonest political stunt to respond to the issues raised by Don Brash in this year's Orewa speech but it does little to deal with our concerns.

* WINZ spends just 30% of its time trying to find people jobs, the other 70% on administration. * Despite a buoyant economy and the worst skills shortage in a quarter of a century we have more than 300,000 working age adults on benefits - about 15% of the workforce. 109,000 are on the DPB, 79,000 on the Unemployment Benefit, and 19,000 on the Invalids and Sickness Benefits. * Since Labour came into office in 1999, the population has increased 6% while those on both the Invalids and Sickness Benefit have increased by 40%. * There are more than 23,000 women on the DPB who have had at least one additional child while on the DPB. * The financial cost of the four main benefits amounts to more than $5 billion a year, $14 million a day which works out to be $2,500 a year for every member of the workforce.

Labour has avoided all mention of community work for the dole and seems intent on keeping up its dogma of all carrot and no stick.

This newsletter is available on my website http://www.judithcollins.co.nz.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Peters/Ardern Triumph

There are a lot of good reasons to feel joyful about this outcome. It is what so many young voters – the best hope for the country’s future – wanted.

Far more important than the implications for the Economy Gods ( is the dollar up or down? ) last night’s outcome will also mean many, many vulnerable New Zealanders will have a better life over the next three years at least.

Yet the desire for change was in the majority, across the country..>>>More


Reaction

Labour on its agreement |Peters: Post-Election Announcement Speech | Greenpeace “cautiously hopeful” about new Government | ACT - Madman on the loose | E tū ecstatic | Chamber welcomes the outcome | Greens on their joining Govt | EDS welcomes new govt | Immigrant groups worry | Feds ready to engage new coalition government | Labour Ministers of the Crown announced

 

Climate: Increasing Greenhouse Emissions Hit NZ

New Zealand is seeing impacts of excess greenhouse gas emissions in our climate and oceans, according to the latest national report from the Ministry for the Environment and Stats NZ about the state of the atmosphere and climate…More>>

ALSO:


Wellington.Scoop: Arrests At Blockade Of "Weapons Expo"

“We encourage people in Wellington to get down to the Westpac Stadium now for a day of awesome peace action. There will be plenty of food, music and activities to keep us sustained through the day.” More>>

ALSO:

Rorschach Restructuring: PSA Taking Inland Revenue To Court Over Psychometrics

The Public Service Association will be seeing Inland Revenue in Employment Court over its intention to psychometrically test employees reapplying for their roles at the department as part of its controversial Business Transformation restructuring plan. More>>

ALSO:

Nuclear Disarmament: Nobel Peace Prize 2017 Awarded To ICAN

Congratulations from iCAN Aotearoa New Zealand to international iCAN, the other iCAN national campaigns and partner organisations, and the countless organisations and individuals who have worked so hard for a nuclear weapons-free world since 1945. More>>

ALSO:

Expenses: Waikato DHB CEO Resigns

An independent inquiry has identified that Dr Murray had spent more than the agreed $25K allocated for relocation costs, and other unauthorized expenses involving potential financial breaches of the chief executive’s obligations. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: Sad About The Trolley Buses?

The Regional Council’s MetLink is today spending money to tell us that it really loves Wellington’s trolley buses, even though they’re all being taken off our roads by the end of this month. More>>

ALSO:

Post-Election: Preliminary Coalition Talks Begin

New Zealand First will hold post-election preliminary discussions in Wellington with the National Party tomorrow morning and the Labour Party tomorrow afternoon. More>>

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election