Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Defence Force Admits Defeat In Recruitment Crisis

28 September 2005

Defence Force Admits Defeat In Recruitment Crisis

New Zealand First Defence spokesperson Ron Mark says that today’s admission by the New Zealand Defence Force that defence forces will not be fully staffed for another ten years is tantamount to an admission that they will never be fully staffed.

Mr Mark says that the blame for this recruitment and retention crisis lays firmly and squarely in the court of Prime Minister Helen Clark and Finance Minister Dr Michael Cullen.

“New Zealand First has long been calling for meaningful pay increases for Defence Force personnel but all the Government has managed in the past six years has been to drip feed small increases which have been too little and come far too late,” said Mr Mark.

“In addition, the overall ceiling applied to Defence Force staffing has always been too low and now as a result the average staffing levels are totally inadequate.

“Purchasing all the high tech hardware in the world amounts to nothing if the Defence Force lack the personnel to operate it.

“The incoming Government needs to take a long and hard look at this situation and urgently provide the Defence Force with the funding it needs to retain the staff it has while encouraging others to join its ranks,” said Mr Mark.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news