Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


No Reason For SDHB To Withhold Hospice Funding

13 December 2005

No Reason For SDHB To Withhold Hospice Funding

Despite questions to the Health Minister by Invercargill MP Eric Roy, bureaucratic buck-passing by the Southland District Health Board (SDHB) is holding back funding earmarked for Hospice Southland by former Health Minister Annette King.

Mr Roy said $155,363 had been earmarked by Annette King in May 2005 as part of a $5.9 million package to District Health Boards as top-up funding for hospice essential services.

“Despite several meetings and clarification from the Ministry of Health, the SDHB has yet to pass any of this money to Hospice Southland. I understand the DHB has offered partial release of the funding, but wants to keep some to explore their own initiatives – completely against the intent of the funding package,” Mr Roy said.

“When Annette King announced this funding in June 2005, she made it clear the funding was so DHBs could fully fund essential hospice services. There is a separate $1.8 million fund announced at the same time for other palliative care services which the SDHB may be able to access for their ‘new initiatives’, but they cannot unilaterally decide to take away any of the $155,363 allocated to the hospice.”

Mr Roy said the SDHB was going against the Minister’s decision, which was made after a report from the Hospice Funding Working Party in April.

“The Minister’s decision is clear, both in the report she signed off and in her subsequent press release in July. The money is to address the funding shortfall for hospices,” Mr Roy said.

“Hospice Southland has attempted several times to negotiate receipt of the funding, but has been stonewalled by the SDHB. I have made enquiries of the new Minister of Health Pete Hodgson, but there has still been no action.”

Mr Roy said he understood other hospices around the country had received their funding soon after the Minister’s announcement in July.

“The SDHB has to hand over this funding. There is no ‘grey area’, no clarification is required,” he said.

“This funding will not completely offset the hospice’s shortfall, but it will go some way to assisting with the care of those patients and their families who require the unique service the hospice offers,” Mr Roy said.

“The SDHB needs to stop sidestepping responsibility and hand over this funding now. We shouldn’t need the Ministry of Health to do any further clarification – it’s a clear Ministerial decision.”

TIMELINE: April 14 2005: The Hospice Funding Working Party Report (attached to this press release) is given to Health Minister Annette King recommending that $5 million be allocated from the Cancer Control Strategy to address a funding shortfall for hospices. (Hospice NZ had asked for $10.527 million after disagreeing with the methodology used to arrive at this figure).

May 9 2005: Annette King changes the recommendation to $5.9 million and signs off the report.

July 1 2005: Annette King sends out a press release announcing the funding and the regional breakdown. Hospice Southland is allocated $155,363. See http://www.beehive.govt.nz/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=23553

December 2005: Southland DHB offers only partial release of funding.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news