'Minister for NZ Music' releases NZ music quiz
1 May 2006
Hon Judith Tizard -
Associate Minister for Arts, Culture & Heritage
'Minister for NZ Music' releases annual NZ music quiz
Judith Tizard has released her annual NZ music quiz to all Members of Parliament today as part of New Zealand Music Month.
"New Zealand Music Month is an opportunity to promote New Zealand music and increase airplay of New Zealand music on commercial radio. It's also an opportunity to celebrate New Zealand musicians and their talents."
"My annual music quiz is a fun way to get my colleagues thinking about New Zealand music and its importance to us - it helps cement our sense of national identity and contributes to our economy. So it doesn't really matter if they lean on google to help them out.
Entries close midday Wednesday 10 May and prizes will be awarded to the top five entries from MPs and include New Zealand Music Month t-shirts and CDs by New Zealand musicians.
Over the past four years there has been a rapid increase in New Zealand music being played on commercial radio.
"We had hoped to increase airplay to 20% by the end of 2006. But the radio industry has already outstripped the targets by playing 20.77% local music last year. "Last year four of the top five most played songs on our radio were New Zealand songs - who would have imagined that ten or even five years ago?"
"This Labour-led government is committed to supporting New Zealand music. The New Zealand Music Code is an initiative that has been embraced wholeheartedly by the recording and broadcasting industries and has proven a stunning success since its inception in 2002.
"The government is promoting our music overseas by funding the New Zealand Music Industry Commission's 'Outward Sound'. And NZ On Air's 'Phase Five' programme helps support New Zealand musicians wanting to record and perform overseas.
"This month I encourage all New Zealanders to celebrate New Zealand music. Let's all sing, play and buy New Zealand music this month".
MPs' name ______________________
Did you do this quiz alone? Yes/No
Did you consult the internet? Yes/No
1. Where was NZ's first big rock festival held?
2. Name a NZ band that played to the troops in Vietnam?
3. Name 1 hit song from each of the 2 current NZ hit movies, Sione's Wedding and No. 2?
4. How many weeks was the debut album by Fat Freddys Drop, "Based on a True Story' number 1 on the NZ charts?
5. Name 4 members of Bic Runga's band for the album "Birds'.
6. Name the 1970 hit by The Fourmyla named after a Horowhenua town?
7. Which NZ song plagiarised a children's book by Margaret Mahy?
8. Which 1 of the following bands
has fewer than 4 members?
- The D4
- 4 Corners
- Forth Member
9. What was the level of NZ music played on the radio in the 2005 calendar year?
10. Recently a "Wedding' has been celebrated in a nationwide tour. Which Kiwi composer, possibly himself unlikely to wed, composed the music?
11. 4 of the top 5 most played songs on NZ radio in 2005 were NZ songs. Name 2? (Or 3 or all 4)!
12. Apart from The Brunettes, name another NZ artist released through American label Sub Pop?
13. Which city is burning according to Die!Die!Die!?
14. Name a member of the Windy City Strugglers?
15. Which of the following NZ artists didn't move to Australia in the 1980s?
- The Narcs
- Sharon O'Neil
- Jenny Morris
- Dave Dobbyn
- Jon Stevens
16. Which of the following
Wellington bands didn't move to Australia?
- Fur Patrol
17. Name 3 Maori artists whose group name involves water?
18. A recently published biography about one of NZ's most influential composers was written by another composer. Who wrote about who?
19. In 1985 which street did Jordan Luck wait in?
20. Rosita Vai won it, but who came 2nd in NZ Idol in 2005?
21. A piano trio, a choir and a chamber duo have recently released CDs which feature music solely from Kiwi composers. Name one of the groups and their album?
22. Name the NZ artist who has the highest UK chart placing in the last 5 years?
SUPPLEMENTARY QUESTIONS FOR A BONUS POINT:
What was the only overseas song to make the top 5 most played song on NZ radio in 2005?
MP for Auckland Central question
Chris Knox, a well known Auckland Central resident has just formed a new band - name it and another of his earlier bands?
Please return your completed quiz to Hon Judith Tizard, 7th Floor, Bowen House by Midday, Wednesday 10 May.
Thank you for doing
your part to support New Zealand music during New Zealand
Music Month, May 2006.