Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Govt orders breast cancer patients off lists

Hon Tony Ryall
National Party Health Spokesman

8 June 2006


Govt orders breast cancer patients to be culled from waiting lists

The Government-ordered waiting list cull will now force women cancer patients needing breast reconstruction to be dumped from hospital waiting lists, says National’s Health spokesman, Tony Ryall.

Women awaiting breast reconstruction following a mastectomy are being removed from waiting lists in response to the Government edict, which has already seen 20,000 patients culled from various hospital waiting lists.

“Already, breast cancer patients in Waikato and Christchurch have been dumped, with Auckland expected shortly,” says Mr Ryall.

“The waiting list cull is completely out of control. These women are being denied what has become the accepted standard of care throughout the world.

“Who can believe that the Prime Minister is prepared to sit silently as this happens?

“Labour must withdraw its edict to cull waiting lists. The price is too high.

“Women who have had a breast removed have always been given the option of having a breast reconstruction after radiotherapy, or at some other time. Now they are losing that right as the Government forces specialists to cull them from waiting lists.

“It is likely these women will not receive a reconstruction at all.

”These are women who need to wait for a period of time after their mastectomy before having breast reconstruction. They generally have a more serious disease that requires them to have radiotherapy to the chest wall, and time is needed to allow for healing or to check that the cancer has not returned.

“Every day the waiting list crisis worsens, and the Government sits idly by as the suffering continues,” says Mr Ryall.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news