Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Growing adult cochlear waiting list needs action

Dr Jackie Blue
National Party Associate Health Spokeswoman

21 November 2006

Growing adult cochlear waiting list needs planned action, not reaction

"The Government's announcement that it will fund 20 adult cochlear implants a year does not go far enough, says National's Associate Health spokeswoman, Dr Jackie Blue.

“This is a knee-jerk reaction to the growing number of adults who are waiting for a cochlear implant,” says Dr Jackie Blue.

“Adult cochlear operations have virtually come to a standstill and the 20 operations will make only a small dent in the list of 100 or so adults currently waiting.

“With 30 more adults needing cochlear operations each year, the waiting list will continue to grow unless there is more certainty around funding.

“This ‘do nothing then throw some money at the problem’ Government response puts real pressure on the workforce and resources.

“Realistic and regular funding will give those on the waiting list certainty of treatment and will allow treatment providers to plan ahead.

“Currently, only 30 cochlear implant operations are funded each year, with the majority performed on children.

“It is high time the Government honoured its own 2003 report into cochlear services, which recommended funding for 50 cochlear implant operations each year.

“The adults waiting for cochlear implants are people who were born hearing but have become deaf during their lifetime – usually as a result of inner-ear disorders.

“Becoming deaf has a huge impact on their lives. They can become socially isolated and depressed, with many working-age patients reducing or stopping work completely. A cochlear implant for these people would mean they are able to live a near-normal life,”says Dr Blue.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news