Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Youth Plan to target crime, education

John Key MP
National Party Leader

29 January 2008

Youth Plan to target crime, education

National Party Leader John Key today announced policies to fight a growing youth crime wave and ensure young people get into education or training.

In a speech in Auckland, he outlined National’s Youth Plan, which consists of a Youth Guarantee and tough new law & order initiatives to combat youth crime.

“Last year, in my underclass speech I warned that New Zealand was seeing a dangerous drift toward social and economic separatism. Helen Clark denied the problem existed, yet nobody can deny its fruits, which are seen daily in the media.

“The truth is that after nine years, Labour’s economic underperformance hasn’t delivered the social dividend they promised.

“Far too many young people are not in education, training, or work – more than 25,000 in fact aged 15 to 19. Far too many kids leave school with no qualifications.

“Under the Youth Guarantee, National will provide a universal, no-cost education entitlement for all 16- and 17-year-olds so they can access school-level educational study at approved institutions. Most will remain at school, but some won’t.

“Those not in work and who fail to take up the entitlement will get no state income support, although special circumstances will be taken into account.

“I am extremely worried about the youth crime problem, with senseless violence and killings seemingly occurring on a daily basis. Good, law-abiding Kiwis end up paying the price.

“We must act now to defuse these unexploded human time-bombs, who are on the fast-track to Paremoremo.

“Just at the weekend, a 14-year-old was arrested after a fatal stabbing of a man in Tokoroa. Last Friday, a 16-year-old was arrested after the senseless slaying of a student working in his family’s Manurewa dairy.

“The violence perpetrated by young criminals is escalating, and we simply must act.

“National will introduce “Fresh Start Programmes” as a Youth Court sentence for those on the road to serious offending. These revolutionary, year-long intensive programmes aim to instil discipline and address underlying causes of offending, and will include up to three months training at, for example, an army facility.

“Fresh Start Programmes aren’t going to be some sort of short-term camp which attempts to scare kids straight. What I’m talking about is a much more modern approach that tackles the underlying causes of criminal offending.

“I want to take the effective elements of army-type training and combine them with the most advanced expertise in youth offending and rehabilitation that New Zealand has to offer,” Mr Key says.

“National will also double maximum residential Youth Justice facility sentences from three to six months, and electronically monitor youths by way of ankle bracelets if they breach court-ordered supervision contracts.

“In addition, the Youth Court will be given powers to issue a range of new compulsory orders like parenting orders, mentoring programmes, and drug and alcohol rehab. National will back up these orders with funding.

“And we will extend the Youth Court’s jurisdiction so it can deal with 12 and 13-year-olds accused of serious crimes.”

National estimates that the Youth Plan will cost about $100 million annually when fully implemented - $65 million for the Youth Guarantee and $35 million for the youth justice initiatives.

“Under Helen Clark and Labour, our country has become a story of lost opportunities,” says Mr Key.

“National knows New Zealand has a great future if we embrace good ideas and put them into action.

“My sense is that in 2008, New Zealand is ready for those ideas; ready for a fresh start. The Youth Plan is part of that fresh start.”

ENDS

Policy Summary
Backgrounder

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Out Now: Werewolf Issue 41

Nanny National - Dotcomming The TPP - Feeling The Love For X Factor
First, They Came For Your Lightbulbs - Classics : Ernest and Celestine - Abortion, Against the Tide
Film: Gods and Monsters - Come Back, SR-71 Blackbird - Satire: Ars Tonga, Vita Brevis
The Complicatist : Bobby Bland R.I.P., Laura Marling


New Court Orders, Screening, Guardianship Changes...: Government Ignoring Poverty, Again

It remains to be seen if announcements today will better protect children, but the National Government is forgoing an opportunity to really help kids by ignoring the elephant in the room, which is poverty, Green Party Co-leader Metiria Turei says.

"All the experts have told the Government that very low income is associated with higher rates of child maltreatment and neglect -- something which was totally ignored in the Government's Children's Action Plan and the announcements today," Mrs Turei said. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Party Time: Dunne Welcomes UnitedFuture’s Re-Registration

United Future leader Peter Dunne has welcomed the Electoral Commission’s decision to re-register United Future as a political party. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: “Irrevocable Damage” From Two Flyovers

The last stop for Generation Zero’s nationwide speaking tour on smart responses to climate change became a venue, in Wellington last night, for an attack on the Transport Agency’s plans for flyovers at the Basin Reserve. More>>

ALSO:

Fonterra: Ex-CBA Boss Ralph Norris To Lead Board Inquiry

Former Commonwealth Bank of Australia chief Ralph Norris is to lead Fonterra Cooperative Group’s board inquiry into the botulism contamination scare, helped by former High Court judge Judith Potter and Chapman Tripp lawyer Jack Hodder QC. More>>

ALSO:

Customs: "Crackdown" On Psychoactives

Customs Minister Maurice Williamson says a crackdown on the importation of psychoactive substances shows targeted efforts by Customs are paying off. More>>

ALSO:

National Party Annual Conference: Key Speech - Expanded Kiwisaver Access For Home Buyers

"Under our plan, we have protected the most vulnerable New Zealanders through difficult times, set a path back to surplus, and built a solid platform for growth." More>>

ALSO:

National Party Conference: Major Changes To RMA 'Undermine Environmental Safeguards'

Forest & Bird is describing the proposed changes to the core of the Resource Management Act as confirmation that the government's strategy is to create short term economic growth at the expense of the environment... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Smelter Deal, Fonterra And Iran

Well, it does seem that about $30 million is the kind of pocket money that the government has readily at hand to throw at foreign corporates – at Warners over The Hobbit, and now at Rio Tinto over the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. One would love to know how the size of these handouts – yes, this is corporate welfarism – are calculated. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news