Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

WWI NZ Soldiers to be Honoured in France


World War 1 New Zealand Soldiers to be Honoured in France

Associate Minister of Arts, Culture and Heritage, Mahara Okeroa, is to represent New Zealand at two ceremonies recognising the role played by kiwi soldiers in France during World War 1.

The opening of the tunnellers’ museum, Carrière Wellington, in Arras this week marks the efforts of the New Zealand Tunnelling Company which, in 1916/17, constructed a series of tunnels underneath Arras, a town close to the German lines. This allowed for the safe placing of mines under German positions and access to the German lines.

“We are deeply grateful to the Arras Town Council for establishing the museum and opening up the tunnels to the public for the first time in many years. I am sure it will become a site of pilgrimage for descendents of the courageous kiwi tunnellers for years to come,” said Mahara Okeroa.

Minister Okeroa will mark another piece of New Zealand history at a handover ceremony in the town of Albert when he receives the identity tags of a World War 1 kiwi soldier.

The tags, belonging to Richard Kemp (also known as Richard Keepa) of Te Aupouri iwi in Te Kao, were found by a six-year-old Albert school girl on the nearby Somme battlefields.

“Richard Kemp survived the war and came back to Te Kao. Fortunately for his whanau his identity was still visible on the weather-beaten tags and I’m honoured to be bringing them home on their behalf,” said Mahara Okeroa.

Mr Okeroa will also visit Le Quesnoy which continues to mark New Zealand’s role in its history. Just a week before the end of the war in November 1918 the New Zealand Division captured the town in their last major action in the war.

Schedule (local time) 11am, Thursday 14 February: Handover ceremony of identity tags, Albert Town Hall 6pm, Friday 15 February: Museum opening and ceremony in Arras Saturday 16 February: Visit to Le Quesnoy

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels