Minister dismisses Hawke’s Bay board member claims
Hon David Cunliffe
Minister of Health
12 March 2008 Media Statement
Minister dismisses former Hawke’s Bay board members claims.
Minister of Health David Cunliffe has dismissed claims by some former Hawke’s Bay DHB members that he could breach the Bill of Rights.
“Clearly claims that I would breach the Bill of Rights Act are an act of desperation,” Mr Cunliffe said.
Claims the former Board members had been given an undertaking that they would receive the Director General’s report seven days before publication are not correct,” Mr Cunliffe said.
Mr Cunliffe said he had sought clarification on whether any undertaking was given to the former board members by the Review Panel or the Director General that they could have a copy of the review seven days prior to publication and was advised that no such undertaking was ever given.
“I am told that no such undertaking was given. An undertaking was given to Mr Dunkerley that the Review Panel would give all parties 7 days notice of the date on which the report was to be given to the Director General.”
On 1 March 2008 that the Director General issued a public notification that the final report was due to be delivered to him by the review panel on Friday 14 March and this was reaffirmed to the parties on Friday 7 March.
“I am disappointed at this latest apparent attempt to undermine the independent review commissioned by the Director General.