Tourism funding needs to play more to our strength
Spokesperson for Tourism
13 May 2010 Media Statement
Tourism funding needs to play more to our strengths
Labour’s spokesperson for Tourism, Kelvin Davis, welcomed the announcement that the tourism industry will receive $30 million in new funding for 2010/11 in next week's Budget, but said this funding fell short of what the industry expected.
“The Ministry of Tourism announced earlier this month that the amount of money spent by visitors to New Zealand had slipped for the second year running. Further investment is clearly needed as the tourism industry recovers from the economic recession,” said Kelvin Davis.
“Although, this funding is a lot less then what Tourism New Zealand Chief Executive Kevin Bowler was expecting. He came out earlier this month saying $100 million was a ‘ballpark’ figure TNZ needs in the May 20 Budget for the coming year.
“If John Key was serious about really boosting our Tourism industry he would have looked to allocate funding to areas like Maori Tourism which is a feature only our country has to offer.
would also scrap National’s plan to mine conservation
“Our natural beauty and the unique cultural experiences are what sets New Zealand apart from the rest of the world. Lets play to our strengths Mr Key, New Zealand Tourism will be better off for it”, said Kelvin Davis.