Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Rent suspended for HNZC tenants affected by earthquake


Hon Phil Heatley
Minister of Housing

27 February 2011 Media Statement

Rent suspended for HNZC tenants affected by earthquake

Housing New Zealand is to suspend the rent for about 2500 of its tenants living in those areas of Christchurch most affected by the Christchurch earthquake, Housing Minister Phil Heatley announced today.

As an immediate measure, Housing New Zealand will reduce the rent to zero of all state housing tenants in 32 suburbs. This rent relief will last for a period of three weeks, and will be backdated to February 22. It will apply to about 2500 properties, and any rent already paid by tenants in these areas since the earthquake will be repaid to them.

"More than 18,000 people live in Housing New Zealand’s 6000 homes in Christchurch. Many of these people are vulnerable and have limited financial means. The rent suspension Housing New Zealand has announced today will provide immediate relief to those likely to be living in the worst conditions in homes most affected by the quake," Mr Heatley said.

"This is an interim measure to give Housing New Zealand time to understand the scope of damage to its properties, and the circumstances of its tenants.
"Housing New Zealand is bringing 4WD vehicles down on the HMNZS Canterbury this weekend, and will be flying in property inspectors and tenancy managers throughout the next few weeks to visit every state home to assess the welfare of tenants, and damage to properties. Those inspections started last week.

"Tenants found to be in properties that are uninhabitable will be immediately moved to alternative accommodation.

"Tenants in properties that are inhabitable but without major services, such as power, water or sewerage or significant damage will pay only half rent after the three week relief period expires, until services are restored and damage repaired. These tenants will also be given the opportunity to move to alternative accommodation if they choose.

"Properties with services, and without major damage will return to full rent following the relief period,” Mr Heatley said.

"For those tenants outside of the worst affected areas in Christchurch, rent relief will also be offered but on a case-by-case basis, depending on the circumstances of tenants and the state of properties in those areas. In all cases rent relief will be backdated to February 22,” Mr Heatley said.
"For those tenants in the areas identified below who feel they cannot remain in their home because of the earthquake, even though it may be undamaged, rent will not be charged for the period they are not in their home, provided they notify Housing New Zealand. Any other Christchurch tenant who does not feel they want to stay in their home should contact HNZC who will consider their request on a case-by-case basis.

"Housing New Zealand is doing all it can to assist its own tenants, but also to help find emergency accommodation for anyone displaced by the earthquake. To date, more than 80 people have been matched to emergency accommodation in the community, and staff are working constantly through welfare centres, phone lines and the internet to provide options to others in need," Mr Heatley said.
"At present the offers of temporary accommodation significantly exceed demand, but we expect this will change as more homes in Christchurch are inspected by the Council and short term arrangements with friends and family come to an end."

The suburbs where rent will be reduced to zero are:
ARANUI NORTH NEW BRIGHTON
AVONDALE OPAWA
AVONSIDE PARKLANDS
BEXLEY PHILLIPSTOWN
BROMLEY REDCLIFFS
BURWOOD RICHMOND
CHRISTCHURCH CENTRAL SAINT ALBANS
DALLINGTON SAINT MARTINS
EDGEWARE SOUTH NEW BRIGHTON
HEATHCOTE VALLEY SOUTHSHORE
HILLSBOROUGH SUMNER
HUNTSBURY SYDENHAM
LINWOOD WAINONI
LYTTELTON WALTHAM
MAIREHAU WOOLSTON
NEW BRIGHTON CHRISTCHURCH

Key Numbers:
• Housing New Zealand tenants with questions about rent relief, or damage to their home, or who wish to inform Housing New Zealand about their whereabouts following the earthquake, should phone 0800 801 601 or go to www.hnzc.co.nz
• Anyone needing emergency accommodation following the earthquake, or anyone offering emergency accommodation to those affected by the earthquake, should phone 0800 HELP 00, visit a welfare centre in Christchurch, or go to www.housinghelp.govt.nz
ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Drone Strikes And Judith Collins‘ Last Stand

The news that a New Zealand citizen was killed last November in a US drone attack in Yemen brings the drones controversy closer to home.

To the US, drones are a legitimate response to the threat posed by the al Qaeda organisation and its franchisees... To the US, the drones carry the added advantage of not putting US troops at risk on the ground, and minimises the need for putting them in large numbers in bases in the countries concerned, always a politically sensitive point.

The counter-argument, well articulated by security analyst Paul Buchanan on RNZ this morning, is that this particular drone attack can be said to amount to an extra-judicial execution of a New Zealand citizen by one of our military allies, in circumstances where the person concerned posed no threat to New Zealand’s domestic security. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Policies: Labour’s Economic Upgrade For Manufacturing

Labour Leader David Cunliffe has today announced his Economic Upgrade for the manufacturing sector – a plan that will create better jobs and higher wages. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Life And ACC Work Of Sir Owen Woodhouse

With the death of Sir Owen Woodhouse, the founding father of the Accident Compensation Scheme, New Zealand has lost one of the titans of its post-war social policy. More>>

ALSO:

Bad Transnationals: Rio Tinto Wins 2013 Roger Award

It won the 2011 Roger Award and was runner up in 2012, 2009 and 08. One 2013 nomination said simply and in its entirety: “Blackmailing country”... More>>

ALSO:

Select Committees: Tobacco Plain Packaging Hearings

The Stroke Foundation is today backing the Cancer Society and Smokefree Coalition who are making oral submissions to the Health Select Committee in support of proposed legislation to remove of all branding from tobacco products. More>>

ALSO:

Milk: Oravida Asked For Cabinet Help

New evidence released by New Zealand First today reveals Justice Minister Judith Collins used her position to manipulate the Government to help her husband’s company, Oravida, after the Fonterra botulism scare, says New Zealand First Leader Rt Hon Winston Peters. More>>

ALSO:

With Conditions: Ruataniwha Consents Approved In Draft Decision

The Tukituki Catchment Proposal Board of Inquiry has granted 17 resource consents relating to the $265 million Ruataniwha Water Storage Scheme in a draft decision that would open more of the Hawke’s Bay to irrigation. More>>

ALSO:

Fast Lanes, Campervans: Labour 'Making The Holidays Easier For Kiwi Drivers'

The next Labour Government will make the holidays easier and journeys quicker for Kiwi families driving on the roads, says Labour Leader David Cunliffe. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Royalty And Its Tourism Spin-Offs

Ultimately the Queen’s longevity has been one of her most significant accomplishments. A transition to Prince Charles while the monarchy was in the pits of public esteem in the mid to late 1990s would have been disastrous for the Royal Firm. Far more congenial representatives have now emerged... More>>

ALSO:

Privacy (Again): ACC Demands Excessive Privacy Waivers

Labour: “This is just another example of ACC under National deliberately acting to deny treatment and compensation... Those who did fill in the form have effectively been victims of yet another ACC privacy breach. This time Judith Collins knew it was happening..." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news