Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


PM Releases Initial Earthquake Assistance Package

PM Releases Initial Earthquake Assistance Package

Prime Minister John Key today announced an initial support package for Christchurch businesses and workers affected by last week’s major earthquake.

The six week package is made up of two parts:

• An Earthquake Support Subsidy to help employers keep paying wages

• Earthquake Job Loss Cover to support employees whose employer believes their business is no longer viable.

“This package is a first step to help the people of Christchurch rebuild their lives and livelihoods. It is designed to get people through the next six weeks, as the Government considers what measures will be needed in the medium-term,” Mr Key says.

“We have made the support package as simple and pragmatic as possible, so that it can be delivered quickly and reach the people who urgently need it.”

The Earthquake Support Subsidy will give Christchurch-based employers a contribution to help them keep paying wages while they consider the future of their business.

Eligible employers will receive a payment of $500 gross per week for each full-time employee, which will be paid to the affected worker. For part-time workers the payment will be $300 gross per week.

“This subsidy is designed to keep businesses connected with their staff during the first few weeks after the earthquake,” Mr Key says.

“This is about keeping people in jobs and supporting businesses through the next six weeks.”

Earthquake Job Loss Cover is a new programme to provide support to workers whose employer believes their business is no longer viable. It will also be available to employees who are unable to contact their employer.

Full-time workers in this situation will receive $400 net per week, to help them transition to either finding another job or seeking other welfare assistance. Part-time workers will receive $240 net per week.

Both types of payments will be back-dated to the date of the earthquake and Work and Income will begin taking applications today.

“Today’s announcements are the beginning of what will be a long process to get Christchurch back on its feet,” Mr Key says.


“More will need to be done, and the Government will do everything we can to support the recovery and rebuilding of the city.

“There are some workplaces now operating in Christchurch, and I’d like to encourage people where possible to go back to work if they can. Where their workplace is safe and their family is safe, the biggest contribution people can make to their city’s recovery is by going back to work.”

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news