Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Dunne Calls for List of Capital's Quake-Prone Buildings

Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Dunne Calls for Public List of Capital's Quake-Prone Buildings

Ohariu MP Peter Dunne has called on Wellington civic leaders to provide a "roll call" of Wellington and the Hutt Valley's commercial and public buildings that are classified as quake-prone.

"Everyone understands that remedying these situations is a process that takes time, and no one is panicking, but I think there is a fundamental public right to know the status of a building they might be working in or using frequently," Mr Dunne said.

"I do not think people will behave in a knee-jerk way with this information. Officials need to trust the people here, but I cannot think of a compelling reason for the public not being told.

'The commercial imperative for property owners to protect the value of their investment is certainly not a good enough reason for withholding this kind of information from the people of greater Wellington - indeed, informing them might actually give property owners an extra push to get earthquake strengthening work done more promptly," he said.

Mr Dunne said it was good to see local councils heading to Christchurch and learning the lessons from last week's Christchurch earthquake.

'That is absolutely prudent and the lessons and the data gained will be very important.

"But right now, we need an open and transparent approach to the reality of the issues that we could all face at any time.

"If the Capital has buildings that potentially could perform like the Pine Gould and CTV buildings in Christchurch in a worst case scenario, then there is a right to know and individuals have the right to make decisions that might be as simple as not using those buildings'.

Mr Dunne said people had demonstrated a very sensible approach to the earthquake generally and he had no doubt this would continue.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pre-Caucus Audio:
David Cunliffe And
The Future Of The
Labour Party

David Cunliffe met with the press today after Saturday’s disappointing election result for The Labour Party.

“We are all deeply concerned by the result of our party vote. I want to be clear that I, as leader, is responsible for that result” Cunliffe said. Although he called the results “deeply disappointing” Cunliffe said “the voters are always right”.

He felt that Labour needed to make improvements and take action: “We don’t need months to get feedback from members of the public, we've had a lot over the past 48 hours”. More>>

 
 

Gordon Campbell: On Labour’s Very Bad Year

While Labour leader David Cunliffe still appears to be in denial about the extent of Saturday night’s debacle, there was hardly a single redeeming feature about the election results for the centre-left... More>>

ALSO:

General Election NZ: National Win

Election Night: With almost all votes counted National and John Key have won a third term and are close to being able to govern alone if they so choose. Key has indicated he will still reach out to form a Government with ACT, United Future and Maori Party. More>>

ALSO:

Perfectly-Timed Anniversaries: Suffrage Day Is Last Chance To Enrol

“The last chance to enrol is Friday 19 September. You can’t enrol on election day.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On First Time Voting (Greens)

For the last two days, I’ve turned my column over to a couple of guest columnists who are first time voters… Today’s guest columnist is Ana Avia-O’Connor, who will be casting her first time vote on Saturday for the Greens. More>>

ALSO:

Meddling: Aussie Liberals Embroiled In Key Campaign

John Key needs to explain why Australia’s Liberal Party is interfering in New Zealand domestic politics and is encouraging Kiwi voters across the ditch to vote for National just days out from the election, Labour’s campaign spokesperson Annette King says. More>>

ALSO:

SURVEILLANCE:

Election Ad Soundtrack: Rapper Eminem Sues National Party Over Copyright Breach

US rapper Eminem is suing the New Zealand National Party for alleged copyright infringement over unauthorised use of the rapper’s ‘Lose Yourself’ song in an election campaign advertisement. More>>

ALSO:

Big March: Call For An End To Domestic Violence

Hundreds of protesters marched down Lambton Quay to Parliament Monday calling for an end to domestic violence. Wearing white facemasks, waving banners and calling for “safety” for the women and children of New Zealand.. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Election Chartering: Four New Partnership Schools To Open

Education Minister Hekia Parata today announced the Government has signed contracts to open four new Partnership Schools in 2015. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf 50 Out Now - The Election Issue: Loss Leaders

Gordon Campbell: A third term requires a mature decision, with eyes wide open. It calls for a conscious vote of confidence… Without trying hard here are about 19 reasons, in no particular order, for not ticking ‘party vote’ National. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news