Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Essential Justice services maintained in Christchurch

Essential Justice services maintained in Christchurch

Courts were continuing to operate in Christchurch as a priority in helping to maintain law and order, and support justice services, Minister for Courts, Georgina te Heuheu said today.

“Today I visited the Ministry of Justice temporary command centre operating from Christchurch Men’s Prison. I was impressed by the way the Corrections Department has welcomed Courts’ temporary location to the prison, and by the way both Corrections and Courts are working with some priority to ensure that Courts’ systems are up and running.

“Arrangements continue in place for essential court matters to be dealt with, despite the Christchurch courts complex being located within the CBD cordon,” said Mrs te Heuheu.

“These include District Court services essential to support law and order including remand appearances at Christchurch Men’s Prison, and arrest matters, including Youth Court arrests, at Rangiora District Court.”

“Even in the wake of Tuesday’s earthquake, the Courts still managed to process 87 arrests and 53 in custody matters,” said Mrs te Heuheu.

Court business continues as usual in Timaru, Ashburton and Rangiora.

Urgent Family Court applications are being dealt with by the Wellington and Dunedin Courts, and all non essential High Court matters set down for this week are adjourned. Until further notice, applications for any High Court matters may be lodged in Wellington.

“I fully appreciate and applaud all the staff that are operating under these temporary conditions, particularly those who have suffered some personal disruption.”

Mrs te Heuheu also visited the temporary mortuary at Burnham Military Camp to view firsthand the work of the coronial services.

“These services are working to support the Chief Coroner, Police and other Government agencies, as well as the military, funeral directors and medical professionals throughout the victim identification process.”

“My visit was both humbling and reassuring. The people involved in this important work, both New Zealanders and those who have come from overseas, are of the highest calibre. They are very experienced, having previously worked together in other significant international disasters, and are truly dedicated to their profession.”

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news