Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search


Office of the Ombudsman crisis could have been minimised

Lianne Dalziel
Earthquake Recovery Spokesperson

16 February 2012

Crisis could have been minimised

The crisis at the Office of the Ombudsman could have been minimised if the Government had acted on Labour’s call for independent advocacy support for Christchurch residents, says Labour’s Earthquake Recovery spokesperson Lianne Dalziel.

“Complaints from members of the public about central and local government have created a huge backlog at the Office of the Ombudsman. Reports suggest that about 270 of the complaints received relate to quake victims’ dealings with the Earthquake Commission and Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority.

“The pressure in that regard could have been eased significantly if an independent advocacy service had been provided. This would have helped prevent staff at the Office of the Ombudsman being overwhelmed and pushed to breaking point. It would also have ensured that Cantabrians got the timely support and service they deserve.

“It’s all very well demanding increased efficiency, but the government must recognise that there is only so much workers can do. The Ombudsman’s office must be properly resourced if it is to provide an adequate service.

“The government should also take up our recommendation and establish an independent agency to help people deal with both EQC and insurers. EQC complaints currently go to the Office of the Ombudsman, but insurers belong to private dispute resolution services. They should be dealt with by a single agency.

"This situation is crying out for the government to intervene and provide free, independent advocacy, which would enable people to resolve their disputes without putting pressure on the Ombudsman's office,” Lianne Dalziel said.


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Environment And Conservation: Changes To Our Oceans Pose Serious Concerns

New Zealand’s oceans, coasts, and marine wildlife are under growing pressure, according to the first national report from the Ministry for the Environment and Statistics New Zealand about the marine environment. More>>


Police Authority: Use Of Taser Was Disproportionate And Unjustified

The Independent Police Conduct Authority has found that an officer’s second use of a Taser on a mentally unwell Hokitika man was disproportionate and unjustified. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On Holidays, Hekia Parata And Badlands

Hekia Parata, adieu. Reportedly, she’s been ‘passionate’ about education. She has “bravely’ led the charge on the government’s education reforms. In the past week , many of the postscripts to Hekia Parata’s career as Education Minister have sounded like a schoolteacher desperately trying to find some reason why a D student can be marked up to C minus. More>>


Minister of Finance: Plan Shows $100 Billion Infrastructure Projects

Finance Minister Bill English has today launched the Government’s Ten Year Capital Intentions Plan (CIP) which shows a pipeline of $100.9 billion worth of infrastructure projects over the next decade. More>>


Werewolf: Safe Landings Gordon Campbell on the safety challenge to the Wellington runway extension.

The safety-related legal challenge revolves around the size of the 90 metre long Runway End Safety Area (RESA) being proposed for the runway extension. More>>


Environment Commissioner: We Need To Work Together On Climate Change And Farming

“The debate around agricultural emissions and the ETS has been polarised for too long,” said the Commissioner. “But the ETS is not the only way forward – there are other things that can be done.” More>>


NZ Super Fund: Seeking To Put A Market Price On Climate Change

Oct. 19 (BusinessDesk) - The New Zealand Superannuation Fund says it will devise a set of rules to assess investment winners and losers under climate change, a strategy that could rule out fossil fuels or producers such as current portfolio member Exxon ... More>>


Rejuvenation: Parata Will Not Contest 2017 Election

Education Minister and National List MP Hekia Parata has today announced that she will not be contesting the next election. She advised the Prime Minister of her decision earlier this year. More>>

Get More From Scoop



Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news