Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


PM’s Office Was Aware of Dotcom in July Last Year


9 October 2012

PM’s Office Was Aware of Dotcom in July Last Year

The Prime Minister’s office knew about Kim Dotcom’s application to buy his Helensville-mansion in July 2011 according to evidence unearthed by New Zealand First.

The Prime Minister confirmed in reply to a written question from New Zealand First that his office knew about Dotcom in July last year.

“In July 2011 one of my staff was advised by Hon Simon Power's office by phone that Hon Power was declining an OIO [Overseas Investment Office] application from Kim Dotcom.

“This information was not conveyed to me as it was routine,” Mr Key said in his written reply.

Rt Hon Winston Peters says the continual emergence of new evidence suggests the Prime Minister knew of Dotcom much earlier than January 19, 2012 – the date Mr Key claims he first became aware of his existence.

“How long can the Prime Minister continue to deny that he knew of Kim Dotcom before January 19 this year?

“His senior ministers knew of Dotcom, his Helensville electorate office knew of Dotcom, and now it emerges that the Prime Minister’s office also knew of Dotcom.”

Mr Peters says it is hard to fathom how Mr Key can claim that he didn’t need to know about Dotcom’s application to buy a mansion in his own Helensville electorate because it was “routine”.

“Routine is about the last word you’d use when it comes to describing anything to do with Dotcom. Love him or hate him, he is a larger than life figure.

“And why would Mr Power relay the information to the Prime Minister’s office if it wasn’t for the consumption of the Prime Minister?

“Mr Key’s involvement in the whole fiasco stinks like a sweaty Hobbit’s armpit in summer,” says Mr Peters.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
More RSS  RSS News AlertsNews Alerts
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news