Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Free after-hours ACC visits for under six-year-olds

Hon Judith Collins
Minister for ACC

24 October 2012

Free after-hours ACC visits for under six-year-olds

ACC Minister Judith Collins announced today that free after-hours doctor’s visits for under six-year-olds will be extended to visits covered by ACC.

Ms Collins says ACC will work with GP networks and after-hours clinics to extend the free medical care, aiming to have the new arrangement in place by 19 December 2012.

“The Government is focussed on improving child injury outcomes. Parents shouldn’t be put off taking their young children to the doctor because of the cost.

“Free after-hours visits will encourage families to seek urgent care for injuries when it is needed and before it’s too late.

“This will also help reduce the numbers of young children presenting to our busy hospital emergency departments with an accidental injury that a GP could have treated,” Ms Collins says.

To ensure the availability of free after-hours visits, ACC will negotiate with GPs and after-hours clinics to make necessary changes to contracts it has with accident and medical and rural general practitioners. There will also be a change to the regulations under which ACC pays for visits to other GPs.

To support providers implementing the policy, the total rate that ACC pays per patient visit will be increased by $5, to between $42.40 and $59.25 per 5-20 minute consultation. This will be offered for visits across the board, whatever the time of day.

“This will make it a lot easier for providers to offer free after-hours accident care and we look forward to seeing strong uptake of the programme,” Ms Collins says.

Interim measures will bring the change into effect on 19 December 2012. Permanent changes to the ACC regulations will be formalised in June 2013.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Greek Riddles:
Gordon Campbell On The Recent Smackdown Over Greece

There had been a fortnight of fevered buildup. Yet here we are in the aftermath of the February 28 showdown between the new Syriza government in Greece and the European Union “troika” and… no-one seems entirely sure what happened. Did the asteroid miss Earth?

It seems to have. The EU still exists. Syriza is now claiming a victory of sorts. It doesn’t help that the only people who do appear to be sure (the Greeks buckled) are claiming the exact opposite to what the other group (the Greeks won!) are saying. Plus, there are bets either way e.g. Bloomberg News: “Its too early to say who caved in to whom.” More>>

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Iraq: Ex-Hostage Says Government Not Putting NZers, Iraqis First

Harmeet Singh Sooden is travelling to Iraq in the coming weeks to work with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) on a short-term assignment. More>>

ALSO:

Joint Statement: Australia-New Zealand Leaders’ Meeting

Prime Minister Key warmly welcomed Prime Minister Abbott and Mrs Abbott to New Zealand. The visit has enabled wide-ranging and substantive discussion that has underlined the strength, value, diversity and warmth of our trans-Tasman relationship. More>>

ALSO:

Press Conference: Peters To Stand In Northland By-Election

New Zealand First Leader Winston Peters has announced his intention to stand in the Northland by-election, citing his own links to the electorate and ongoing neglect of the region by central government. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Wage Hike For MPs (and Paul Robeson)

Hard to tell what is more infuriating. Is it the 5.3% increase on the already bloated salaries of MPs, or their pantomime of outrage at being gifted with such a wonderful back-dated bonanza? More>>

ALSO:

No Designers Or Visual Artists: Flag Panel Members Announced

The Government has appointed 12 New Zealanders as members of the Flag Consideration Panel which will engage with the public about a possible new New Zealand flag, Deputy Prime Minister Bill English says. More>>

ALSO:

Labour MP Stands Down From Portfolio: Comment From Carmel Sepuloni

The first I knew of my mother’s charges was when I was called by a reporter yesterday. I spoke to Andrew and we agreed there is a conflict of interest at the present time which means I will temporarily stand aside from the Social Development portfolio. It’s the right thing to do… . More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Whether NZ Troops Are The Least Of Islamic State’s Problems

Given that it has been politically packaged and sold as a training mission, the Iraq deployment announced yesterday by Prime Minister John Key seemed to be mysteriously short of actual trainers... The other wing of the argument is whether a troop deployment is (a) the only effective way and (b) the appropriate time to combat Islamic State. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news