Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


New Vice Chief Of Defence Force Announced


Hon Dr Jonathan Coleman

Minister of Defence

14 November 2012 Media Statement


New Vice Chief Of Defence Force Announced

Defence Minister Dr Jonathan Coleman has announced the new Vice Chief of Defence Force will be Major General Tim Keating.

Major General Keating, who is currently the Chief of Army, is replacing the current Vice Chief of Defence Force, Rear Admiral Jack Steer, who was recently appointed as Chief of Navy.

“Major General Keating is a respected officer with extensive command and operational experience spanning a 31 year career,” said Dr Coleman.

“He has the right blend of leadership and organisational management service to step into this role as the deputy to the Chief of Defence,” he said.

Major General Keating joined the NZ Army in 1982. He has held various significant positions within the Defence Force in his career including Commanding Officer 1st New Zealand Special Air Service Group; Commandant Officer Cadet School, Waiouru; and Commander 2nd Land Force Group, Linton Military Camp.

He was promoted to his current rank and assumed the role of Chief of Army in February 2011.

Major General Keating has had a number of operational deployments. He was the Commanding Officer of New Zealand’s Multinational Force, Sinai, in 1997; and was deployed to Afghanistan as the Commander of Task Group CRIB 6, in July 2005.

Major General Keating completed the Australian Command and Staff Course, Queenscliff, Australia in 1996. He also holds a Master of Strategic Studies from the United States Army War College, Pennsylvania.

In June 2008 he was made a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit in the Queen’s Birthday honours list.

He starts his new job as Vice Chief of New Zealand Defence Force on December 1st for a three year term.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news