Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Australia and NZ extend criminal history information trial


Hon Judith Collins
Minister of Justice

The Hon Jason Clare

Australian Minister for Home Affairs,
Minister for Justice, and
Minister for Defence Materiel

15 November 2012

Media Statement

Australia and New Zealand extend criminal history information sharing trial

The sharing of criminal history information between Queensland and New Zealand will be extended following a successful six month trial.

Australian Minister for Home Affairs and Minister for Justice Jason Clare and the New Zealand Minister of Justice Judith Collins have agreed to extend the six month trial due to end in December 2012 to July 2013.

The trial follows an agreement reached in January this year between the Prime Ministers of Australia and New Zealand to improve the exchange of criminal history information for employers.

“New Zealand is our closest neighbour and that closeness brings great economic benefits, however, it also makes it easier for criminals to move between our two countries,” Mr Clare said.

Minister Clare said the trial allows Queensland and New Zealand employers to request criminal history checks on behalf of potential employees.

“The trial is progressing well and will continue to help employers to make decisions about who they hire and will protect our communities from people who may pose a risk,” Mr Clare said.

Minister Collins said the Queensland trial forms part of a wider programme of work on reciprocal information sharing to support border control and law enforcement, consistent with the free movement of people across the Tasman.

“Both Governments are working toward a more automated process and are considering how this arrangement can be extended to criminal history information requests from employers across Australia and New Zealand,” Ms Collins said.

ENDS



© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Earth Day: Global March To Defend Science In NZ Saturday

The March for Science movement emerged in the immediate wake of President Trump’s inauguration as he moved quickly to curtail the power of the Environmental Protection Agency and limit the ability of government agencies to communicate scientific evidence.

Since then it has broadened to “champion robustly funded and publicly communicated science as a pillar of human freedom and prosperity”. More>>

'Opening The Election' Video: Nicky Hager And Mike Joy On Science, Spin, And Society

In two videos relevant to the March for Science from Scoop's 'Opening The Election' forum, Massey University's Dr Mike Joy spoke about promoting science in the face of government spin and journalist Nicky Hager offered a checklist of issues to promote for an open civil society. More>>

 

Health Workers Respond: People's Mental Health Report Released

The People's Mental Health Review reinforces a recent YesWeCare.nz survey of 6,000 health workers, which found nine in 10 believe they don't have the staff or resources to deliver the care Kiwis need when they need it. More>>

ALSO:

More Mental Health:


Energy: Greens Launch Plan For Cheaper And Cleaner Electricity

$112 million for winter warm-up payments to help low-income households cover their power bills • setting a goal for 100 percent renewable electricity by 2030 (in average hydrological conditions) • an investigation into the electricity wholesale market. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Aged-Care Settlement

Until yesterday, a National government has always been the sworn enemy of women seeking justice in the workplace, in the face of gender-based pay discrimination. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news