Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


One week left for public to have their say on Gallipoli 2015

Hon Nathan Guy

Minister of Veterans’ Affairs
 
18 November 2012

Media Statement        

One week left for public to have their say on Gallipoli 2015 balloting
 
New Zealanders have just one week left to have their say on how to ballot attendance at Anzac Day 2015 in Gallipoli, says Veterans’ Affairs Minister Nathan Guy.
 
“We expect that record numbers of New Zealanders and Australians will want to attend Gallipoli commemorations in 2015, marking the 100th anniversary of the ANZAC landings.
 
“Because of the steep terrain, the Anzac Commemorative Site in Gallipoli can safely hold only about 10,000 people. This means both countries will need to manage numbers in 2015 to ensure everyone’s safety.
 
“Public consultation on how the Government should ballot places closes on Sunday 25 November. Over 700 people have filled out the survey so far, but we want to encourage more people to have their say.
 
“We want to hear New Zealanders’ views about how the attendance pass system could work and whether special groups should be given priority. This could include descendants of Gallipoli veterans, veterans of other wars, serving members of the Defence Force and youth representatives.
 
“New Zealand is expected to have around 2000 places and Australia 8000, reflecting each countries casualties at Gallipoli in 1915,” says Mr Guy.
 
Under the proposed allocation system, New Zealanders interested in attending the services at Gallipoli would register their interest next year with the ballot to be held by April 2014.
 
More than 8,500 New Zealanders and 50,000 Australians served at Gallipoli.  By the end of the eight-month campaign, 2,721 New Zealanders and 8,709 Australians had died, and thousands were injured.
 
The online survey is available at www.gallipoli2015.govt.nz with submissions closing on 25 November 2012. Physical copies are available by calling Veterans Affairs New Zealand on 0800 483 8372.
 
Mr Guy will be discussing plans for Gallipoli 2015 at a Ministerial Summit on Veterans’ Affairs to be held in Canberra, Australia from today till 20 November. The summit will be attended by representatives from Australia, USA and Canada.
 
ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Regulators: Govt To ‘Crowd-Source’ Regulatory Advice

A wide-ranging set of reforms is to be implemented to shake up the way New Zealand government agencies develop, write and implement regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Board Appointments: Some Minister Appoint Less The 3 In 10 Women

“It’s 2015 not 1915: Ministers who appoint less than 3 in 10 women to their boards must do better, they have no excuse but to do better,” said Dr Blue. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The 1990s Retro Proposals For Our Health System

As we learned yesterday, the reviews propose that the democratically elected representation on DHBs should be reduced, such that community wishes will be able to be over-ridden by political appointees. In today’s revelations, the reviews also propose a return to the destructive competitive health model of the 1990s. More>>

ALSO:

Post-Cab Press Conference: Foreign Buyers Register, TPP And Serco

At a press conference today in Wellington, John Key discussed the foreign buyers register as well as the TPP and Serco. Key was questioned on whether a stamp tax might be used as a tool to deal with foreign buyers. More>>

ALSO:

Lyndon Hood Satire: Serco To Outsource Prison To Public Sector

In response to high-profile failings, multinational omnicorporation Serco will introduce public management in its prison system. Serco's New Zealand manager, speaking on condition of anonymity, has announced plans for managers from the Department of Corrections to run the Mt Eden Correctional Facility. More>>

National Party Conference: Plans To Nudge Immigrants Towards Regions

The Government will introduce a package of immigration measures aimed at improving the spread of workers, skills and investment across New Zealand, Immigration Minister Michael Woodhouse says. More>>

ALSO:

Corrections: Serco Relieved Of Control At Mt Eden Prison, Retains Contract

Multi-national private prison operator Serco has been forced to hand back control of Auckland's Mt Eden remand prison to the Department of Corrections, which has used a 'step-in' clause in its contract with Serco following a string of increasingly serious allegations about contraband, prisoner injuries and a death. More>>

ALSO:

Other Experiments: Failing Charter School Stays Open 'For Kids'

Education Minister Hekia Parata says she has given Te Pumanawa o te Wairua in Northland a chance to continue operating because of her concerns about finding other educational opportunities for its students. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news