Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search


Environment Court decision fails Waihi residents

19 November 2012

Environment Court decision fails Waihi residents

“It’s disappointing that the Environment Court has sided with foreign-owned mining giant Newmont, over concerned Waihi residents,” said Green Party terrestrial mining spokesperson Catherine Delahunty.

Ms Delahunty was responding to the Environment Court decision released this evening, that recommended approval of Newmont’s application to increase the depths of their underground operations at the Martha Mine, to carry out underground operations 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and to extend the hours of blasting. Ms Delahunty and locals submitted to the Court in favour of restricting the hours of operations and against extending the hours of blasting.

“Most submitters were not outright opposed to the proposal, they simply wanted reasonable restrictions placed on operations. It’s a shame that these reasonable demands were ignored,” said Ms Delahunty.

“It is clear from this hearing that the law does not protect the most vulnerable residents in Waihi from the effects of mining.

“Once again Waihi residents will pay the price in further disruption to their lives so that Newmont can make more profit that will flow offshore.

“The Martha Mine at Waihi has not brought prosperity to the people. Waihi rates poorly on New Zealand’s deprivation index.

“Energy Minister Phil Heatley must approve Newmont’s application before their new work programme can begin, and I am calling on Minister Heatley to refuse to approve it without the reasonable restrictions to operations that the Environment Court failed to impose,” said Ms Delahunty.

Newmont is also seeking consent for a significant new mine, called the Correnso Mine, under the eastern residential area of Waihi. The hearings for the Correnso Mine begin next month.

© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Minister of Finance: Plan Shows $100 Billion Infrastructure Projects

Finance Minister Bill English has today launched the Government’s Ten Year Capital Intentions Plan (CIP) which shows a pipeline of $100.9 billion worth of infrastructure projects over the next decade. More>>


Werewolf: Safe Landings Gordon Campbell on the safety challenge to the Wellington runway extension.

The safety-related legal challenge revolves around the size of the 90 metre long Runway End Safety Area (RESA) being proposed for the runway extension. More>>


Environment Commissioner: We Need To Work Together On Climate Change And Farming

“The debate around agricultural emissions and the ETS has been polarised for too long,” said the Commissioner. “But the ETS is not the only way forward – there are other things that can be done.” More>>


NZ Super Fund: Seeking To Put A Market Price On Climate Change

Oct. 19 (BusinessDesk) - The New Zealand Superannuation Fund says it will devise a set of rules to assess investment winners and losers under climate change, a strategy that could rule out fossil fuels or producers such as current portfolio member Exxon ... More>>


Rejuvenation: Parata Will Not Contest 2017 Election

Education Minister and National List MP Hekia Parata has today announced that she will not be contesting the next election. She advised the Prime Minister of her decision earlier this year. More>>

Prisons Grow: Government Approves Plans For Increased Prison Capacity

Despite significant progress in reducing crime the number of prisoners has increased faster than projected. This is because the proportion of offenders charged with serious crimes has risen, meaning more people are being remanded in custody and serving more of their sentences in prison. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On Plastic Bag Activism, And Street Harassment

Amusing to see the Act Party experiencing another outbreak of young fogey-ism. What has aroused the ire of Act Leader David Seymour this time is the introduction of a Greens private members bill to the ballot process, calling for a 15 cents levy on plastic bags to reduce pollution. More>>


Unclear Weapons: US Navy Ship Cleared To Visit NZ For Navy's 75th

United States Navy ship, the USS Sampson, has been given clearance to visit New Zealand next month by Prime Minister John Key... “The process for considering the visit by the USS Sampson is the same as that used for all ships attending the International Naval Review." More>>


Get More From Scoop



Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news