Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Employers survey backs Govt work initiatives



Hon Steven Joyce
Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills & Employment
21 November 2012 Media Statement
Employers survey backs Govt work initiatives

Government initiatives underway to get more young people and the unemployed into work have the support of New Zealand employers, new research shows.

A survey of 2000 employers and in-depth interviews with 53 firms by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment found that improving education, training and skills for young people and the unemployed removed barriers and enhanced their chances of getting a job.

“Employers are clear that the key attributes they look for when hiring young people and those looking for work are whether they have the right skills, experience, attitude and work ethic,” Tertiary, Skills and Employment Minister Steven Joyce says.

“The report notes that Government initiatives such as Job Streams and the $97 million Youth Guarantee scheme, which gives 16 and 17-year-olds fees-free vocational training, are supported by employers. Youth Guarantee is in high demand with 7345 places being taken up in 2012.

“Employers are in favour of the 90-day-trial period the Government has introduced as it reduces the risk of taking on young people and the unemployed while giving them the chance to demonstrate they have the skills an employer wants.”

Sixty per cent of employers said they had used a trial period and 70 per cent said they would in the future.

“Many employers are also in favour of a simple youth minimum wage. The Government’s new Starting Out Wage announced last month will be easy for employers to implement and will help give thousands of young people a much-needed foot in the door in a tight labour market,” Mr Joyce says.

“The Government has a comprehensive programme to ensure our young people have the necessary skills and training that employers are seeking. We are making good progress with NCEA Level 2 achievement up, tertiary results also up, Youth Guarantee achieving great results and the number of young people on benefits falling.”

The report is available at: http://www.dol.govt.nz/publications/research/employers-perspectives-part3-youth-longterm-unemployed/



© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news