Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Government Puts Polytechnics In Peril


Grant
ROBERTSON
Tertiary Education, Skills and Training spokesperson

22 November 2012 MEDIA STATEMENT

Government Puts Polytechnics In Peril

The Government’s decision to cut $32 million in funding from polytechnics is a major blow to institutions that play a critical role in promoting regional economic growth, jobs and skills, Labour’s Tertiary Education, Skills and Training spokesperson Grant Robertson said.

“The Government has stopped funding foundation courses at a number of polytechnics and handed over the programmes to private providers. The result is a range of programmes and student places being cut and widespread job losses. These polytechnics are the heart of training and skills development in the regions and the Government is undermining them.

“By allocating the programmes to private training providers the Government is pursuing its agenda of privatising more of the tertiary education sector. They are also chasing a least cost model. It might save them some money in the short term, but in the long term it will damage the quality of tertiary education that is provided, especially in the regions.

“So far polytechnics in south Auckland, New Plymouth, Whanganui, Palmerston North, Hawkes Bay and Nelson have announced cuts, and I am aware that there are more to come. The cuts to foundation studies programmes affect the overall provision that is possible, and the number of staff that can be employed. So far around 100 staff cuts have been announced. Thousands of student places have gone, and more than 25 courses have been cut. The flow-on affects to the institutions will be significant.

“Around the country today staff and students are protesting against these cuts. Steven Joyce and the National Government should listen to them. We expect polytechnics to provide a range of courses to meet the needs of their regions. These latest cuts come on the back of $60 million of earlier cuts. The Government simply cannot expect the polytechnics to keep providing the programmes and courses they have if they keep undermining them.

“It’s time for the Government to stop undermining, and get in behind quality public training that is needed to give New Zealand the skills to grow our economy,” Grant Robertson said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news