Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


NZ veterans to attend 60th Anniversary of Korean Armistice


Hon Nathan Guy
Minister of Veterans’ Affairs

23 November 2012 Media Statement

New Zealand veterans to attend 60th Anniversary of Korean Armistice

Up to 30 Korean War veterans will be funded to attend the 60th anniversary commemorations of the Korean War Armistice in July next year, Veterans Affairs Minister Nathan Guy has announced today.

“This will be a chance for veterans to pay tribute to their fellow servicemen and women who served New Zealand in this conflict. It is an important way of honouring those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

“All expenses will be covered for those selected to attend the events in Korea, including medical care.

“Depending on the level of interest, a ballot may be needed to allocate places. This is the same policy as for 60th commemorations of the Second World War, and priority would be given to those who haven’t received Government support to attend previous services in Korea,” says Mr Guy.

As with other commemorative events, veterans will need to meet medical and fitness criteria to ensure they are well enough to travel as part of the delegation and take part in the events.

“We will also be holding a New Zealand-based commemoration for those unable to attend,” says Mr Guy.

New Zealand was one of the first nations to provide support for the Korean War (1950-53), with roughly 4,700 personnel serving in Kayforce, and a further 1,300 Naval personnel also involved.

Forty-five personnel lost their lives in the seven years New Zealand was involved in the conflict and its aftermath.

Veterans of the Korean War wishing to register their interest in attending should contact Veterans’ Affairs New Zealand by freephone on 0800 483 8372 or by emailing veterans@xtra.co.nz.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news