New members of Small Business Development Group announced
New members of Small Business Development Group
Press Release by Minister for Small Business John Banks
Wednesday, November 28 2012
Announcing the appointment of the Small Business Development Group (formerly Small Business Advisory Group) today, Mr Banks welcomed twelve new members from a diverse range of industries in the economy and representing a number of regions.
“SMEs are the lifeblood of our economy, and the Small Business Development Group plays an important role providing the small business voice in business policy development,” Mr Banks said.
“The SBDG provides the Government with a critical perspective that we cannot get from policy or academia, and I greatly appreciated the unique insights the out-going Small Business Advisory Group has provided during their term.
“The new group will have an increased focus on identifying administrative and regulatory barriers to SME growth. Strong networks and knowledge of the realities facing the small and medium enterprises (SME) sector were the most important qualities we were looking for.”
Over 170 applications for the positions were received, and the following twelve members have been appointed:
• Tenby Powell (convenor), Auckland, equipment
• Rhonda Kite (deputy convenor), Auckland, digital media
• Robert Khan, Auckland, broadcasting
• Jonathon Flett, Christchurch, manufacturing
• Mitchell Pham, Auckland, IT
• Jeremy Ward, Wellington, transport/hospitality
• Neil Pluck, Rakaia, agricultural machinery
• Matthew Jones, Christchurch, building services
• Sonia McConnachie, Auckland, consumer marketing
• David Hiatt, Canterbury, tourism
• Elspeth Ludemann, Otago Southland, farming
• Adrienne Pierce, Hawkes Bay, business services
Members have been appointed for a term of three years from February 2013.
“This group is sure to offer new perspectives and fresh thinking, and I look forward to working with them and hearing their ideas on what this Government can do to assist small business,” Mr Banks said.
The full terms of reference for the advisory group can be read at the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment website: http://www.med.govt.nz/business/business-growth-internationalisation/small-and-medium-sized-enterprises/the-small-business-advisory-group/terms-of-reference-and-protocols-for-small-business-development-group