Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Collins to visit Hong Kong and Brussels

Hon Judith Collins
Minister of Justice

30 November 2012

Collins to visit Hong Kong and Brussels

Justice Minister Judith Collins leaves tomorrow for a week-long trip to Hong Kong and Brussels.

In Hong Kong, Minister Collins will meet her public sector counterparts at the Government Office, including the Secretary for Justice and the Chief Justice of the Final Court of Appeal.

“I look forward to discussing some of the justice issues we are currently facing with my colleagues, such as extradition, financial crime, privacy law reform and how we can mutually assist each other to address these,” Ms Collins says.

Ms Collins then travels to Brussels, where she will attend the Ministerial launch of the Global Alliance Against Child Sexual Abuse Online.

The Alliance seeks to fight online sexual abuse against children by uniting countries around the world behind a common goal.

“Preventing child pornography is something I feel very strongly about. Earlier this year I announced the Government’s plans to increase the maximum penalty for possession of child pornography from five to 10 years imprisonment.

“Online sexual abuse of children knows no borders and child pornography circulates easily across countries.

“This is why the Global Alliance is so valuable. We need a global approach to ensure that offenders are prosecuted, that victims receive the support and protection they require, that child pornography is eliminated as much as possible, and that we raise awareness of the risks posed by these activities online for children.”

While visiting Brussels, Ms Collins will meet with the European Commissioner responsible for Home Affairs, Cecilia Malmström to further discuss how New Zealand and the European Union can work together to eradicate child pornography. She will also meet with key Members of the European Parliament.

Ms Collins will also lay wreaths at war memorials in Belgium, including the New Zealand memorial on Rue des Néo Zelandais (New Zealander Street) which marks the battle of Messines and the Polygon Wood Cemetery where one of the three New Zealand memorials to the missing in Flanders is located.

She will also visit the Menin Gate in Ypres, where a large arch was constructed in the early 1920s in memory of the Commonwealth soldiers who were killed in the area during World War One but whose graves are unknown.

More than 54,000 names are listed there of soldiers who are known to have died but whose bodies were never found or identified. The Menin Gate is the site of the daily Last Post ceremony and each year, the joint New Zealand/Australia ANZAC Day ceremony.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news