Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


NZ joins Global Alliance against child sexual abuse online

Hon Judith Collins
Minister of Justice

6 December 2012 Media Statement
NZ joins Global Alliance against child sexual abuse online

Justice Minister Judith Collins has joined with representatives of 48 countries in Brussels at the Ministerial launch of the Global Alliance against child sexual abuse online.

The Global Alliance aims to eliminate legal loopholes exploited by the distributors of child abuse material, strengthen efforts to grow the Interpol international database of child abuse material, and make it easier to initiate joint cross-border police investigations.

“Online sexual abuse of children knows no borders and child pornography circulates easily across countries.

“I have been delighted with the enthusiasm and commitment displayed by all 48 countries in joining the Alliance. It’s critically important we work together to hold those who prey upon our children to account.

“Earlier this year I announced the Government’s plans to increase the maximum penalty for possession of child pornography from five to 10 years imprisonment, and to update our existing laws to keep pace with advances in technology.

“We are targeting those criminals who physically abuse children, take pictures or videos, and distribute these over the Internet. Recipients of child pornography do not just possess the pictures – they support child abuse by engaging in its dissemination.

“We need a global approach to ensure that offenders are prosecuted, that victims receive the support and protection they require, that child pornography is eliminated as much as possible, and that we raise awareness of the risks posed by these activities online for children.

“The Global Alliance will strengthen our resources to identify more victims of child sexual abuse, and ensure that they receive our help and support. We must bring more perpetrators to justice and fight the distribution of child abuse material online,” Ms Collins says.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news