Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


So much for Kiwis at the front of the queue

29 January 2012

So much for Kiwis at the front of the queue

A visit by Mighty River Power CEO Doug Heffernan to talk to Australian hedge fund managers undermines John Key’s promise that New Zealanders would be at the front of the queue for shares in our publicly-owned assets, Green Party Co-leader Dr Russel Norman said today.

Mr Heffernan and Mighty River Power CFO, William Meek, met with Australian hedge fund managers in Sydney and Melbourne last week, according to media reports. In his statement to Parliament today, the Prime Minister said that ‘New Zealanders will be at the front of the queue for shares’.

“Kiwis have always known that asset sales are a con and that the a large number of shares would end up in overseas ownership. This is further evidence that National’s talk of ‘mum and dad’ investors is just empty spin,” said Dr Norman.

“Clearly, the Government intends that large parcels of shares will be bought by offshore institutions, if the sale of Mighty River Power goes ahead. The company’s senior managers are already trying to entice Australian hedge funds to buy up shares.

“Mighty River Power is a proudly New Zealand-owned company, and so it should remain. Its purpose is to provide sustainable electricity to New Zealand families at a fair price and produce a return to the Government, not to make profits for overseas investors.

“Kiwis know that asset sales mean loss of control and loss of economic sovereignty. That’s why 360,000 of us have already signed the petition calling for a referendum on asset sales.

“The Government should stop trying to hock off our assets to overseas companies, listen to New Zealanders, and keep our assets,” said Dr Norman.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news