Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Kiwis spending less time waiting in EDs

Hon Tony Ryall
Minister of Health

31 January 2013

Kiwis spending less time waiting in EDs

New Zealanders are spending less time waiting in hospital emergency departments (EDs), allowing them to receive treatment faster and return home sooner.

“Over 130,000 more patients received emergency care within six hours last year than in 2009, when the Governments National Health Targets began,” says Health Minister Tony Ryall.

“Of the 970,000 ED presentations last year, 93 per cent of patients were admitted, discharged or transferred within six hours or less.

“This is a significant improvement from a few years ago when only around 80 per cent of New Zealanders received ED care within six hours.

“Even with a steady increase in the number of presentations each year, EDs across the country are treating more patients faster.

“At one hospital, for example, the average time a patient spends in their ED has decreased by nearly four hours since 2008 — with 96 per cent of people now being treated within six hours or less.

“Thanks to the hard work of health professionals, we’ve reduced wait times and made a real difference to patients and their families.

“I’ve seen a letter from a patient, who recently went to the North Shore Hospital ED, who said every single member of the staff he encountered was fantastic and the facilities were first class. He was seen immediately, received excellent care, recovered quickly and returned home to enjoy the holidays with his family.”

Shorter stays in EDs is one of the Government’s National Health Targets to ensure New Zealanders have better, sooner more convenient healthcare.

As reported recently, the former clinical director of Auckland Hospital ED, Dr Tim Parke, believes this national health target has contributed to saving about 200 lives nationally.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news