Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Funding battles shouldn’t hold up transport changes

Megan Woods
MP for Wigram
Christchurch Transport Issues Spokesperson

1 February 2013

Funding battles shouldn’t hold up transport changes

Lengthy disputes over funding cannot be allowed to stall progress for Christchurch’s new transport system, says Labour’s Christchurch Transport Issues spokesperson and MP for Wigram Megan Woods.

“The rebuild is an opportunity for Christchurch to have New Zealand’s most advanced public transport system and to be a world-class city for cycling and walking. Cantabrians want to get moving, not squabble over the cheque.

“The process around the upgrade of Auckland’s transport fell victim to in-fighting which saw the brakes applied to some really worthwhile transport initiatives - all because of unresolved disputes over funding.

“Cantabrians don’t want these kinds of delays,” Megan Woods said.

Releasing her submission on the Christchurch Central Development Unit (CCDU) transport plan, Ms Woods said that while there were some exciting ideas in the plan, details of who would pay for what were missing.

“All the best ideas in the world will count for nothing if funding cannot be sorted out between central and local governments.

“CCDU has to deliver its final plan to Cabinet sometime in March, at which stage the cost of the proposal will be addressed.

“Hopefully a constructive conversation between Christchurch City Council, CERA, NZTA and Environment Canterbury is possible.

As I have said previously getting our transport network right is fundamental to us creating the best city we can. It is not just about vehicles and pedestrians, but also about our social, economic and community recovery.

“That recovery is dependent on getting a modern and sustainable transport network up and running as quickly as possible. For all of our sakes I hope this does not become a drawn-out squabble,” Megan Woods said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

2014 General Election: Voting Period Begins

The first votes for the 2014 general election will be cast today, Wednesday 3 September, as advance voting begins ahead of election day on Saturday 20 September.

“Election day is September 20, but if you want, you can vote from today,” says Chief Electoral Officer Robert Peden. “Almost 300 advance voting places will be available around the country for people to cast early votes.”

Times and opening hours will vary around the country to suit local needs. More>>

 
 

Parliament Today:

Two Dead, One Injured: Suspect Charged After Ashburton Shooting

Russell John Tully has appeared in Christchurch District Court. Tully has been remanded in custody on charges of murder of Peg Noble and Leigh Cleveland and attempted murder of Lindy Curtis. More>>

ALSO:

John Key Press Conference: Ashburton Shootings, Judith Collins Inquiry

Prime Minister John Key has delayed the release of Nationals’ fiscal policy in light of this morning’s shooting at a Work and Income office in Ashburton... Key also answered questions about Judith Collins, and confirmed that independent inquiry will be held with regard to allegations made against Collins. More>>

ALSO:

Internet MANA: Georgina Beyer Rocks The Waka

“There is now, and always will be, a range of views about many issues within our movement and members are free to express them, but Georgina’s views on Kim Dotcom are not shared by the MANA Movement leadership or the vast majority of MANA members and supporters around the country” states MANA Candidate for Waiariki, Annette Sykes. More>>

ALSO:

IGIS Update: Inquiry Into Release Of NZSIS Information

The Inquiry would be conducted in private and individuals would appear before her separately over a period of more than a week. She does not intend to name those summoned to give evidence until her report is published. “I can confirm that all persons summoned will be required to appear under oath...” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On John Key’s ‘Blame It On Judith’ Strategy

Right now, Prime Minister John Key seems intent on limiting the scope of any inquiry into his government’s dealings with Cameron Slater. The declared aim is to make that inquiry solely about Judith Collins’ behavior with respect to the Serious Fraud Office. More>>

ALSO:

Maori Council Lawyers' Statement: Supreme Court Decision On Maori Water Rights

“…the Supreme Court refused to give Pouakani people what they asked for, but may have given them something much, much better instead… the Supreme Court has questioned whether the Crown owns the River at all.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Debate, And The Collins Accusation

Debating is a peculiar discipline in that what you say is less important than how you’re saying it. Looking poised, being articulate and staying on topic generally wins the day – and on that score, Labour leader David Cunliffe won what turned out to be a bruising encounter with Prime Minister John Key last night on TVNZ. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news