Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Earthquake-prone buildings meetings to begin

Hon Maurice Williamson
Minister for Building and Construction
4 February 2013 Media Statement
Earthquake-prone buildings meetings to begin

Building and Construction Minister Maurice Williamson says public submissions will be crucial in establishing a new policy to deal with earthquake-prone buildings.

Proposals for a national approach to deal with earthquake-prone buildings are currently out for consultation, and if adopted would mean all such buildings would be dealt with within 15 years, compared with an average of 28 years currently.

The first public meeting on the proposals will be held tomorrow night in Wellington.

"This consultation is important and I encourage people to have their say by attending one of the seven public meetings around the country or completing the online response form.

“Getting the policy right involves striking a balance between the risks posed by buildings in earthquakes and the costs of strengthening, or demolishing, them,” Mr Williamson says.

Currently, individual local authorities are responsible for how earthquake-prone buildings are dealt with in their areas, in consultation with their communities.

“Some councils have been active and others less so. As a result many earthquake-prone buildings are not being dealt with in a timely and cost-effective way."

Under the proposed changes, all non-residential and multi-unit, multi-storey residential buildings would have to be assessed within five years. Owners of buildings assessed as being earthquake-prone would then have up to 10 years to strengthen or demolish them.

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment has issued a consultation document and a DVD which explain the proposed changes in detail. The Ministry is also running seven public meetings around the country.

"I will be attending a number of these meetings, including the Wellington one.”

The Wellington meeting will be held at the Michael Fowler Centre tomorrow night (Tuesday 5 February), starting at 7pm.

The consultation document, details of the public meetings, and an online response form can be found at: www.dbh.govt.nz/consultingon-epbp

The consultation process runs until 5pm Friday 8 March 2013.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Greek Riddles:
Gordon Campbell On The Recent Smackdown Over Greece

There had been a fortnight of fevered buildup. Yet here we are in the aftermath of the February 28 showdown between the new Syriza government in Greece and the European Union “troika” and… no-one seems entirely sure what happened. Did the asteroid miss Earth?

It seems to have. The EU still exists. Syriza is now claiming a victory of sorts. It doesn’t help that the only people who do appear to be sure (the Greeks buckled) are claiming the exact opposite to what the other group (the Greeks won!) are saying. Plus, there are bets either way e.g. Bloomberg News: “Its too early to say who caved in to whom.” More>>

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Iraq: Ex-Hostage Says Government Not Putting NZers, Iraqis First

Harmeet Singh Sooden is travelling to Iraq in the coming weeks to work with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) on a short-term assignment. More>>

ALSO:

Joint Statement: Australia-New Zealand Leaders’ Meeting

Prime Minister Key warmly welcomed Prime Minister Abbott and Mrs Abbott to New Zealand. The visit has enabled wide-ranging and substantive discussion that has underlined the strength, value, diversity and warmth of our trans-Tasman relationship. More>>

ALSO:

Press Conference: Peters To Stand In Northland By-Election

New Zealand First Leader Winston Peters has announced his intention to stand in the Northland by-election, citing his own links to the electorate and ongoing neglect of the region by central government. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Wage Hike For MPs (and Paul Robeson)

Hard to tell what is more infuriating. Is it the 5.3% increase on the already bloated salaries of MPs, or their pantomime of outrage at being gifted with such a wonderful back-dated bonanza? More>>

ALSO:

No Designers Or Visual Artists: Flag Panel Members Announced

The Government has appointed 12 New Zealanders as members of the Flag Consideration Panel which will engage with the public about a possible new New Zealand flag, Deputy Prime Minister Bill English says. More>>

ALSO:

Labour MP Stands Down From Portfolio: Comment From Carmel Sepuloni

The first I knew of my mother’s charges was when I was called by a reporter yesterday. I spoke to Andrew and we agreed there is a conflict of interest at the present time which means I will temporarily stand aside from the Social Development portfolio. It’s the right thing to do… . More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Whether NZ Troops Are The Least Of Islamic State’s Problems

Given that it has been politically packaged and sold as a training mission, the Iraq deployment announced yesterday by Prime Minister John Key seemed to be mysteriously short of actual trainers... The other wing of the argument is whether a troop deployment is (a) the only effective way and (b) the appropriate time to combat Islamic State. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news