Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Public Submissions sought for RCEP FTA

Hon Tim Groser
Minister of Trade

8 February 2013

Public Submissions sought for RCEP FTA

The government is inviting submissions on upcoming negotiations for the 16-nation Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) Free Trade Agreement.

In November 2012, Prime Minister John Key joined other leaders from Australia, the 10 ASEAN states, China, India, Korea and Japan, to launch the RCEP Free Trade Agreement (FTA) negotiations.

“This is a significant development for New Zealand which will help us deepen our links with Asia. Asia is critical for New Zealand’s future as a source of growth, markets, investment and talent. Ultimately these agreements are about creating long-term wealth and employment for New Zealanders,” Mr Groser says.

“This allows New Zealand to be a part of a major trade initiative in the dynamic East Asian region. The countries which have committed to RCEP represent markets of more than 3 billion people, almost US$20 trillion in combined GDP and around 27 per cent of world trade.”

RCEP will cover trade in goods, trade in services, investment, economic and technical cooperation, intellectual property, competition, dispute settlement and other issues.

As New Zealand prepares for the launch of RCEP FTA negotiations it is important that our negotiators know and understand the views and interests of New Zealanders. Investors, exporters and importers of goods and services, non-government organisations and individuals are invited to make submissions.

For more information or to make a submission go to http://www.mfat.govt.nz/Trade-and-Economic-Relations/2-Trade-Relationships-and-Agreements/RCEP/0-RCEP-Consultation.php

The deadline for submissions is 8 March 2013.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

False Electoral Return: John Banks Sentenced To Community Work, Curfew

“The conviction of John Banks today is another sad chapter for John Banks and the ACT Party”, says Labour candidate for Epsom Michael Wood.

“Mr Banks was found guilty of electoral fraud in June. Regardless of what sentence is handed down, his reputation is in tatters. Sentencing is a matter for the court, and publicly deriding him further brings little benefit.”

“With the conviction confirmed, it is time for the ACT Party to step up to the mark and apologise to the people of Epsom. Mr Banks has suffered the consequences of his actions, but so far the ACT Party has gotten off scott-free” More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On The Rise Of ISIS And Labour

While global attention got distracted by the fate of MH17 and the atrocities in Gaza, the world’s other mega ‘bad news’ story – the rise of ISIS-led fundamentalism in Iraq – has reached a tipping point. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild: Christchurch City Council Releases Milestone Report

The Cameron Partners report says the Council may need to find an additional $783 million to $883 million by 2019... Options Cameron Partners proposed include increasing rates, borrowing more, maximising insurance payments, and freeing up capital from its commercial assets. More>>

ALSO:

Parliament Today: Parliament Adjourns

The 50th Parliament has adjourned for the final time. After the completion of the adjournment debate, MPs left for the campaign trail with Parliament to be dissolved on August 14 ahead of the September 20 election. More>>

ALSO:

Novopayout: Government-Owned Company To Take Over School Payroll

After lengthy negotiations, the Ministry of Education and the existing school payroll provider, Talent2, have settled both on the amounts payable by Talent2 towards the costs of remediating the Novopay service and a new operating model for the school payroll system. More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Labour Will Raise Minimum Wage, Restore Work Rights

A Labour government will raise the minimum wage $2 an hour to $16.25 and restore work rights to ensure the benefits of economic growth are shared fairly by all New Zealanders, Labour Leader David Cunliffe says. More>>

ALSO:

Police: Crewe File Review Released

No new evidence has come to light implicating any specific person as being responsible for the murders of Jeannette and Harvey Crewe... The review identifies there is a distinct possibility that Exhibit 350 (the brass .22 cartridge case) may be fabricated evidence, and that if this is the case, that a member of Police would have been responsible. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf Issue #49: Gordon Campbell Interviews Laila Harre

For 25 years, Labour and National have been in virtual agreement about the basics of economic policy, and differed mainly on how to go about managing its social consequences. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news