Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Ballot numbers for Gallipoli 2015 confirmed

Hon Michael Woodhouse
Minister of Veterans’ Affairs

12 February 2013 Media Statement
Ballot numbers for Gallipoli 2015 confirmed

Visitor numbers for the Centenary Anzac Day Commemorative Services at Gallipoli on 25 April 2015 will be set at 10,500 people, Veterans’ Affairs Minister Michael Woodhouse has confirmed.

“The Turkish Government recently reviewed the Anzac Commemorative Site and has formally advised that the maximum capacity is 10,500 people,” says Mr Woodhouse.

“Demand for places at the 2015 Gallipoli commemorations is expected to significantly exceed the site capacity. That is why both Australia and New Zealand has agreed to ballot attendance passes.”

Of the 10,500 attendance passes, Australia will receive 8000, New Zealand 2000, with the remaining 500 reserved for those from Turkey and for VIPs representing New Zealand, Australia and other countries involved in the conflict.
“This allocation ratio is based on the relative number of casualties suffered by New Zealand and Australia during the Gallipoli campaign in 1915.”
Late last year both governments conducted extensive public consultation regarding balloting options for attendance at the 2015 commemorations.

“We will soon be in a position to make final decisions regarding balloting arrangements, and expect to announce further details in the coming weeks.

“New Zealand places great value on the enduring cooperation and support provided by Turkish authorities to the annual Anzac commemorations, and I thank them for that support,” says Mr Woodhouse.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Cash For Charter Schools, Mould For State Schools

“Recently released financial statements show the Whangarei charter school He Puna Marama received $3.9 million in government funding to the end of last year. Yet their audited accounts show they only spent $1.4 million on education, leaving almost $2.5 million over two years unaccounted for." More>>

ALSO:

Kiwirail Plans Shift From Electric: National Urged Not To Take Backwards Step

The National Government shouldn’t drag New Zealand backwards by replacing its climate friendly electric trains with carbon-polluting diesel trains, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Capital Connection:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news