Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


NZ continues commitment to Afghanistan

Hon Murray McCully

Minister of Foreign Affairs

Hon Dr Jonathan Coleman

Minister of Defence

18 February 2013 Media Statement

NZ continues commitment to Afghanistan

Cabinet today agreed on New Zealand’s contribution to Afghanistan beyond the April withdrawal of the Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT) from Bamyan province, in line with the joint ISAF/Afghan transition plan.

Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully and Defence Minister Jonathan Coleman say New Zealand will continue to make a small but proportionate military commitment to the international mission in Afghanistan from May 2013, and that we remain committed to international efforts to improve the security and prosperity of Afghanistan.

“The current NATO/ISAF mission is not scheduled to end until December 2014. As previously indicated, the Government believes it remains in New Zealand’s interests to continue to play our part to secure the gains that have been achieved in Afghanistan over the last decade,” Mr McCully says.

“Most of these deployments will, initially, operate from the closing of the PRT in April, for a one-year period to the end of April 2014.”

Dr Coleman says 27 NZDF personnel will be based in Afghanistan, predominately in the capital, Kabul.

“While the overall numbers of this contribution are relatively small compared to the size of the PRT, the NZDF deployments cover a range of roles and will be highly-valued during the final stages of the ISAF mission,” Dr Coleman says.

“It is important that the gains that have been made over the last decade in security, development, health and human rights are not lost.”

The group will comprise:

• Eight NZDF personnel deployed to the UK-led Afghan National Army Officer Training Academy in Kabul from later this year. As announced last year, this particular deployment is likely to extend beyond 2014

• Twelve NZDF personnel to the ISAF Special Operations Forces headquarters employed mainly in intelligence and planning roles

• Three NZDF personnel with the ISAF headquarters in Kabul

• Three NZDF support personnel as part of the New Zealand “National Support Element “

• One NZDF officer with the UN Assistance Mission to Afghanistan

“This week I will be visiting Brussels to attend the NATO/ISAF Defence Ministers’ Meeting and I will use the opportunity to set out to partner countries what New Zealand’s on-going contribution will be,” Dr Colman says.

These deployments are in addition to our commitment announced last year to contribute US$2 million per year from 2015 to help sustain the Afghan National Security Forces after the ISAF mission concludes.

New Zealand will also continue to provide development assistance to Bamyan province after the withdrawal of the PRT. The New Zealand Embassy in Kabul is expected to close before the end of 2014.
ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Parliament Today:

Employment: Locked Out Wairoa Talley Workers Win Case

Thursday’s Employment Court decision should see AFFCO Talley’s Wairoa locked out workers back at work in the next two weeks, says the NZ Meat Workers Union. More>>

Meanwhile:


ALSO:


EMPLOYMENT BILL REPORTED BACK:

The Kids: OECD Report Shows Huge Impact Of Poverty On Education

A new report from the OECD has again highlighted the negative effects of poverty, showing that disadvantaged children in New Zealand are more than six times more likely to underachieve in maths than children from wealthier homes. More>>

ALSO:

Pacific: NZ Pledges $500,000 To Help Address Zika

“With the Zika virus now confirmed in a number of Pacific countries, New Zealand is committed to helping limit the impact and spread of the virus in the region,” says Mr McCully. “New Zealand will provide $250,000 as a contribution to the WHO to implement the Pacific Zika Action Plan, and a further $250,000 to enable countries in the region to respond rapidly if required." More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Police Commissioner 'Doesn’t Get Force Needs'

The Police Commissioner has let down the public and his own force by insisting the police have what they need despite it taking a year to solve a burglary and overwhelming number of officers saying they are under-resourced, says Labour’s Police spokesman Stuart Nash. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The US Pressure To Expand Our Role In Iraq

Foreign news services are being more forthcoming about what the “next 12 months” will entail – essentially, the defence ministers will be under US pressure to increase their “training” role preparatory to an assault on the city of Mosul in northern Iraq. More>>

ALSO:

Parliament Restarts: Prime Minister’s Statement

Our policy agenda and legislative programme will reflect the Government’s four priorities: • to responsibly manage the Government’s finances • to build a more competitive and productive economy • to deliver better public services to New Zealanders, an • to support the rebuilding of Christchurch. More>>

ALSO:

NZEI Survey Report: Special Needs Students Missing Out

The survey revealed that around 16 percent of students were on schools’ special needs registers, but nearly 90 percent of schools’ special needs coordinators did not believe there was adequate support for students and their learning... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news