Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search


Lives can’t wait a year for new health and safety agency

Darien Fenton
Labour Spokesperson

21 February 2013

Lives can’t wait a year for new health and safety agency

The Government should fast-track plans to establish a new, stand-alone health and safety agency to help keep workers safe on the job, says Labour’s spokesperson for Labour Issues, Darien Fenton.

“Setting up a dedicated agency is the right thing to do, but lives will be needlessly lost in the workplace if the Government takes nearly a year to get it up and running.

“It will be good to see health and safety regulation and enforcement separated out from the so-called “business facing ministry” MBIE, because there is a clear conflict between safety on the job and the drive for profits.

“But the Government’s plan to wait for almost a year before getting the new agency established isn’t good enough. The massacre in our workplaces requires urgent action, not a slow moving bureaucratic response.

“Worker participation is a key factor in health and safety in all workplaces, but the Government has diminished its importance by scaling back funding for the training of health and safety representatives.

“A big lesson from the Pike River Mine was the importance of workplace representation. The Government should move urgently to implement a requirement for check inspectors and to restore funding for health and safety training.

“The Minister is also progressing employment law changes that will significantly reduce rights for all workers and put pressure on their wages.

“The National-led Government just can’t seem to understand that health and safety at work is closely linked to workplace rights and their plans to reduce workers’ rights can only make things worse,” says Darien Fenton.


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Minister of Finance: Plan Shows $100 Billion Infrastructure Projects

Finance Minister Bill English has today launched the Government’s Ten Year Capital Intentions Plan (CIP) which shows a pipeline of $100.9 billion worth of infrastructure projects over the next decade. More>>


Werewolf: Safe Landings Gordon Campbell on the safety challenge to the Wellington runway extension.

The safety-related legal challenge revolves around the size of the 90 metre long Runway End Safety Area (RESA) being proposed for the runway extension. More>>


Environment Commissioner: We Need To Work Together On Climate Change And Farming

“The debate around agricultural emissions and the ETS has been polarised for too long,” said the Commissioner. “But the ETS is not the only way forward – there are other things that can be done.” More>>


NZ Super Fund: Seeking To Put A Market Price On Climate Change

Oct. 19 (BusinessDesk) - The New Zealand Superannuation Fund says it will devise a set of rules to assess investment winners and losers under climate change, a strategy that could rule out fossil fuels or producers such as current portfolio member Exxon ... More>>


Rejuvenation: Parata Will Not Contest 2017 Election

Education Minister and National List MP Hekia Parata has today announced that she will not be contesting the next election. She advised the Prime Minister of her decision earlier this year. More>>

Prisons Grow: Government Approves Plans For Increased Prison Capacity

Despite significant progress in reducing crime the number of prisoners has increased faster than projected. This is because the proportion of offenders charged with serious crimes has risen, meaning more people are being remanded in custody and serving more of their sentences in prison. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On Plastic Bag Activism, And Street Harassment

Amusing to see the Act Party experiencing another outbreak of young fogey-ism. What has aroused the ire of Act Leader David Seymour this time is the introduction of a Greens private members bill to the ballot process, calling for a 15 cents levy on plastic bags to reduce pollution. More>>


Unclear Weapons: US Navy Ship Cleared To Visit NZ For Navy's 75th

United States Navy ship, the USS Sampson, has been given clearance to visit New Zealand next month by Prime Minister John Key... “The process for considering the visit by the USS Sampson is the same as that used for all ships attending the International Naval Review." More>>


Get More From Scoop



Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news