Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search


Youth wage plan is last century thinking

Darien Fenton
Labour Spokesperson

25 February 2013

Youth wage plan is last century thinking

National’s draconian plan to cut the minimum wages of young workers came a step closer today, with the Minimum Wage (Starting Out Wage) amendment bill reported back to Parliament from Select committee says Darien Fenton, Labours spokesperson for Labour issues.

“The bill enables 16 and 17 year olds to be paid 20 per cent less just because of their age and creates an unfair situation where 16 and 17 year olds who gain experience in one job, can be returned to youth rates in another job - despite the experience they have gained.

“It reintroduces youth wages for 18 and 19 year olds, something that we haven’t seen in New Zealand since the 1990s.

“Paying young workers to do the same job less just because of their age is discriminatory and unfair and will have little, if any, impact on youth employment levels.

“It will, however, increase youth hardship and will particularly affect those who are returning to work after being on a social security benefit.

“It will discourage young people from seeking work and encourage bad employment practices among employers.

“And it will force many young beneficiaries into work that is poorly paid and undervalues their contribution.

“There were 531 submissions to the select committee, with only nine were favour. As usual, the Government hasn’t listened, ignoring the concerns of the majority of submitters.

“The measure simply reinforces what we already know – that National has no new ideas to address youth unemployment and has resorted to using last century’s ‘solutions’.

“They didn’t work then and they won’t work now.”

The bill is due to come into force on 1 May.


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Minister of Finance: Plan Shows $100 Billion Infrastructure Projects

Finance Minister Bill English has today launched the Government’s Ten Year Capital Intentions Plan (CIP) which shows a pipeline of $100.9 billion worth of infrastructure projects over the next decade. More>>


Werewolf: Safe Landings Gordon Campbell on the safety challenge to the Wellington runway extension.

The safety-related legal challenge revolves around the size of the 90 metre long Runway End Safety Area (RESA) being proposed for the runway extension. More>>


Environment Commissioner: We Need To Work Together On Climate Change And Farming

“The debate around agricultural emissions and the ETS has been polarised for too long,” said the Commissioner. “But the ETS is not the only way forward – there are other things that can be done.” More>>


NZ Super Fund: Seeking To Put A Market Price On Climate Change

Oct. 19 (BusinessDesk) - The New Zealand Superannuation Fund says it will devise a set of rules to assess investment winners and losers under climate change, a strategy that could rule out fossil fuels or producers such as current portfolio member Exxon ... More>>


Rejuvenation: Parata Will Not Contest 2017 Election

Education Minister and National List MP Hekia Parata has today announced that she will not be contesting the next election. She advised the Prime Minister of her decision earlier this year. More>>

Prisons Grow: Government Approves Plans For Increased Prison Capacity

Despite significant progress in reducing crime the number of prisoners has increased faster than projected. This is because the proportion of offenders charged with serious crimes has risen, meaning more people are being remanded in custody and serving more of their sentences in prison. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On Plastic Bag Activism, And Street Harassment

Amusing to see the Act Party experiencing another outbreak of young fogey-ism. What has aroused the ire of Act Leader David Seymour this time is the introduction of a Greens private members bill to the ballot process, calling for a 15 cents levy on plastic bags to reduce pollution. More>>


Unclear Weapons: US Navy Ship Cleared To Visit NZ For Navy's 75th

United States Navy ship, the USS Sampson, has been given clearance to visit New Zealand next month by Prime Minister John Key... “The process for considering the visit by the USS Sampson is the same as that used for all ships attending the International Naval Review." More>>


Get More From Scoop



Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news