Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Call for Dunedin candidates to Youth Parliament


Call for Dunedin candidates to Youth Parliament

Any young person in Dunedin with an interest in politics and making a difference should apply to represent our great city in the Youth Parliament, say Labour’s Dunedin MPs David Clark, Clare Curran and David Parker.

Young people aged 16-18 across the country are now invited to apply to be a part of Youth Parliament 2013, held on 16 and 17 July.

Pupils will be asked to submit a video clip between one minute and one minute 30 seconds long. The topic is: 20/20 Vision – What could Dunedin be in the year 2020?

“I want to hear from young people who are willing to get out and engage with the youth in their community to gather their views and represent them in Parliament,” says Clare Curran.

“Youth Parliament 2013 is a significant opportunity for young New Zealanders to share their views and the views of their peers with the country’s decision-makers. Youth Parliament gives young people the opportunity to understand and participate in Parliament and the decision-making process,” says David Parker.

Nominated Youth MPs will hold the title from 1 May to 31 December 2013. They are expected to engage with their community during this time, so all New Zealand youth have the opportunity to have their voice heard.

Youth Parliament 2013 is organised by the Ministry of Youth Development in collaboration with the Office of the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the Office of the Clerk, the Parliamentary Service and New Zealand’s 121 Members of Parliament.

Anyone interested in becoming a Youth MP should contact Clare Curran or Jarred Griffiths on the details below or contact the Ministry of Youth Development at beheard@youthparliament.govt.nz.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA (Now with further evidence) - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

    National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

    ALSO:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Parliament
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news