Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Increase In Minimum Wage Will Deny More New Zealanders Work

Increase In Minimum Wage Will Deny More New Zealanders The Dignity Of Work
Press Release by ACT Leader John Banks
Tuesday, February 26 2013

National’s decision to increase the minimum wage will see more business failures and more jobs lost, ACT Leader John Banks said today.

“At a time when National should be getting out of the way of business, it’s putting greater barriers in place,” Mr Banks said.

“Small businesses make up 97% of all enterprise within New Zealand and account for 40% of our GDP. Most are struggling as they have little to no bargaining power with suppliers and do not have the capacity to absorb on-going cost increases.

“A member survey by Hospitality New Zealand last year found that 48% of hospitality owner/operators paid themselves less than the minimum wage.

“If employers can’t afford to pay themselves the minimum wage, how can they be expected to pay their employees even more?

“The minimum wage increase will impact most on those who can least afford it - low-skilled workers. It will price them out of the market, consigning them to a benefit.

“We have seen this with the abolition of the youth minimum wage: Statistics New Zealand released its December quarterly report which put the youth unemployment rate at 30.9 per cent - the highest rate for at least 30 years.

“Of course we would all like to see employees earn higher wages. But arbitrarily raising the minimum wage via regulation rather than through an increase in productivity will only result in job losses,” Mr Banks said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Werewolf: John Pilger, And Making War On China

In July, the New Zealand Defence Force is scheduled to join the latest round of Talisman Sabre, a huge training exercise that Australia carries out biennially in conjunction with all four arms of the US military.

Last time around in 2015, New Zealand contributed 650 personnel, 45 vehicles and two of our $NZ771 million dollar fleet of NH90 helicopters to this regional war game.

What’s weird is that Talisman Sabre is actually a rehearsal for an assault on China and its ability to defend itself. More>>

ALSO:

 
 

Urban Planning Report: Momentum Grows To Replace The RMA

A major new report from the Productivity Commission lays the foundation for action on the growing political consensus that the Resource Management Act and associated laws are failing both cities and the natural environment and need a complete rewrite. More>>

ALSO:

Vaping: Quitline Supports Decision To Legalise Nicotine E-Cigarettes

Today Associate Minister of Health, Hon Nicky Wagner has announced that Government are taking the proactive step of legalising nicotine e-cigarettes, a move which Quitline is pleased to hear and support wholeheartedly. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Labour/Greens Deal (And The NZDF)

If Labour and the Greens were hoping their Budget Responsibility Rules (BRR) agreement would foster an unlikely alliance then hey… mission accomplished! Because it isn’t every day that Sue Bradford, the CTU and Matthew Hooton speak with one voice, as happened yesterday. More>>

ALSO:

Until After The Election: Extension Of Report-Back Date For Havelock North Inquiry

Attorney-General Christopher Finlayson announced today that the report-back date for the independent Inquiry into Havelock North Drinking-Water has been extended at the request of the Inquiry’s Panel. More>>

ALSO:

Little Heading For Court: Apology Over Donation/Hotel Contract Claims Not Accepted

Today I want to publicly apologise unreservedly to Mr Hagaman for any hurt, embarrassment or adverse reflection on his reputation which may have resulted from my various media statements. I have offered that apology to the Hagamans. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news