Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Another win for private investors over ordinary Kiwis

David
SHEARER
Labour Leader
Clayton
COSGROVE
SOEs spokesperson

5 March 2013 MEDIA ADVISORY
Another win for private investors over ordinary Kiwis

Hard-working Kiwis lose out again under John Key’s offer to give an extra 25 per cent of Mighty River shares only to those who can spend over $2,000, said Labour Leader David Shearer and SOEs spokesperson Clayton Cosgrove.

David Shearer said: “This is just another lure dangled in front of Kiwis in a desperate attempt to get them to pre-register for Mighty River shares so the Government can claim massive interest. The truth is taxpayers are being asked to buy shares in what they already own.

“The extra 25 per cent of shares only goes to those who can afford to spend over $2,000 if the float is oversubscribed. In this economy very few Kiwi families have a spare two grand. Those who can scrape together $1,000 to invest don’t get a chance at the extra quarter of shares.

“Those without the money to buy shares will pay for the extra 25 per cent given to those who can afford them. Yet again ordinary Kiwis miss out and private investors cash in.

“Rather than trying to lure New Zealanders into a dubious deal to buy what they already own John Key should hold the referendum before proceeding with the sales and listen to the people,” said David Shearer.

Clayton Cosgrove said: “Over 80 per cent of Kiwis have consistently voiced their opposition to the sales and this is another blow to them. Not only will they lose the assets they already own, they have to stand by and watch while more shares line the pockets of private investors.

“No matter how many ways John Key tries to dress this up, it still makes no sense for New Zealanders to have to buy back assets they already own. This wasn’t part of a pre-election promise, this is just a straight bribe,” said Clayton Cosgrove.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news